Partial installation of SQL Server created by Microsoft Fore Front

• One of my colleagues has created a partial installation of Sql Server by installing Microsoft Fore Front. This has created the databases and some jobs but there is no workstation elements on the server so consequently I have no SSMS. As a result, there is no access to sa (disabled) and I cannot create logins, backups, database mail etc.

If I load the workstation etc elements will the databases created by Fore Front be OK i.e. unaffected by the installation? I cannot seem to find anything on the Fore Front site but I may well be looking in the wrong place. The Fore Front databases are live ( a case of my colleague rushing along with enthusiasm). I am ensuring that we have a complete backup to tape (Tivoli) before I start anything so that the server can re re-created if it dies

Madame Artois

• My colleague has now created the backup to tape so the server is safe. Has anyone got an idea about this?

Madame Artois

• Is there anyone out there who knows somethings about this?

Madame Artois

• That's probably just an installation of Express. Express can be installed without any management tools. Typically when that's done the app has a way of doing backups.

p.s. Unless tirvoli has a SQL interface and that is used, the backup is not going to be useful.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I was told its was a full SQL Server (albeit with the wrong options chosen) but I have thrown the question back to the responsible person and his manager.

Tivoli does backup both flat files and SQL Server (two separate functions within the package) so I am happy about building the server if it goes wrong.

Madame Artois

• My colleague has come back to me. It was a full SQL Server installation rather than a SQL Server Express installation. Will it be OK to install the workstation components? Will it affect the databases?

Madame Artois

• It won't break anything, but rather install the tools on a desktop and connect to the server. In general workstation tools don't belong on a server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I connected via my workstation SSMS, enabled sa and let myself in! Whoopee! I have now completed our routine DBA tasks and enabled database mail to shout me if it goes wrong.

Thanks for your help

Madame Artois

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply