Parse data from notes field

• I need to parse payment data from a notes field. Example of data below.  I tried the Len function but got mixed results, Any help or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Total charges reported are $107.79.  Total Paid amount is $83.70.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00).

Total charges reported are $1757.34.  Total Paid amount is $1537.67.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00

Total charges reported are $707.11.  Total Paid amount is $707.11.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00).

Thank you,

• have a look at CharIndex

/* from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/functions/charindex-transact-sql */
    DECLARE @document VARCHAR(64);
    SELECT @document = 'Reflectors are vital safety' +
    ' components of your bicycle.';
    SELECT CHARINDEX('bicycle', @document);

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Tav29 wrote:

I need to parse payment data from a notes field. Example of data below.  I tried the Len function but got mixed results, Any help or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Total charges reported are $107.79.  Total Paid amount is $83.70.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00). Total charges reported are $1757.34.  Total Paid amount is $1537.67.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00 Total charges reported are $707.11.  Total Paid amount is $707.11.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00). Thank you,

What results are you hoping to obtain, based on your examples?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thank you Johan,

I tried the Charindex and I'm able to find the starting position. I have multiple positions 42,43,44,45,46.  What's the best way to go about this? a Case statement with the Len function?

Thank you,

Tav

• Hi Phil,

I'm trying to exact the Payment information (In Red). My problem is they all have different starting positions,  I did the Charindex recommend by Johan and I get 42,43,44,45,46 as starting positions. I just want the dollar value, I just don't know how to go about it without grabbing any text values.

Total charges reported are $107.79.  Total Paid amount is $83.70.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00).

Total charges reported are $1757.34.  Total Paid amount is $1537.67.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00).

Total charges reported are $707.11.  Total Paid amount is $707.11.  Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00).

Thanks for your help.

• If the data really is as well structured as your examples suggest, the following should work. If not, something more refined will be required.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #T1;

CREATE TABLE #T1
    (
    Col1 VARCHAR(500) NOT NULL
    );

INSERT #T1
    (
    Col1
    )
    VALUES
    ('Total charges reported are $107.79. Total Paid amount is $83.70. Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00).')
    ,('Total charges reported are $1757.34. Total Paid amount is $1537.67. Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00')
    ,('Total charges reported are $707.11. Total Paid amount is $707.11. Patient reponsibility is nothing ($0.00).');

SELECT t.Col1
    ,TotalPaid = SUBSTRING(t.Col1, c.Pos1, c.Pos2 - c.Pos1)
    FROM #T1 t
    CROSS APPLY
    (
    SELECT Pos1 = CHARINDEX('Total Paid amount is $', t.Col1) + 22
    ,Pos2 = CHARINDEX('Patient reponsibility', t.Col1) - 3
    ) c;

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Phil,

I'm sorry for such a novice question(New to SQL) I have this information in a Notes Field along with an ID Field in a table. How do I reference the note field and extract the payments and ID to the temp table?

Thank you,

Tav

• Never mind Phil, I got it. Thank you for your help.  also thank you Jonah.

• Phil,

I'm getting this error. Here is my sql statement:

SELECT Notes, NoteId

,TotalPaid = SUBSTRING(Notes, c.Pos1, c.Pos2 - c.Pos1)

FROM dbo.NoteReceive

CROSS APPLY

(

SELECT Pos1 = CHARINDEX('Total Paid amount is $', Notes) + 22

,Pos2 = CHARINDEX('Patient reponsibility', Notes) - 3

WHERE (CategoryID = 9)

) c;

Error:

Msg 537, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Invalid length parameter passed to the LEFT or SUBSTRING function.

• Fixed. Absolute Value (ABS)

• That means you have some data which does not follow the convention. You can avoid the error by filtering out the rows which do not match, like this:

SELECT t.Col1
    ,TotalPaid = SUBSTRING(t.Col1, c.Pos1, c.Pos2 - c.Pos1)
    FROM #T1 t
    CROSS APPLY
    (
    ) c
    WHERE c.Pos1 > 0 AND c.Pos2 > 0;

Or you can track down the suspect rows, like this

SELECT t.Col1
    FROM #T1 t
    CROSS APPLY
    (
    ) c
    WHERE c.Pos1 = 0 OR c.Pos2 = 0;

• Hey Phil,

You are correct had 30,000+ records with the word "Responsibility" misspelled and 400+ spelled correctly.  Ran replace function to correct the misspelling.

Thank you again for all your help, it's greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, just started to do SQL at my current job.  Have a great day.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Tav29.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply