parent child table design

• Hi,

I have a question about parent child table design. There is a parent table which relates 'n' number of child tables.

tblParent

tblChild1

tblChild2

tblChildn

Normally primary key of tblParent will be referenced in all child tables as a foreign key. But I would like to relate child tables with parent table in reverse order by adding a column in tblParent for each and every child tables as given below.

tblParent columns

P_ID (pk)

ch1_ID(fk1)

ch2_ID(fk2)

chn_ID(fkn)

Is this a right design for a high volume database? if not let me know what are the issues with this approach?

thanks in advance

Raghu

• First things first, this breaks normalization and there are other ways to do it. If you have a one to many relationship with parent to child, you're going to have a bad time because you look like you're only able to store one child id per child table in the parent table.

The option that is usually used is to have a table that has 2 fields, ParentID and ChildID. Then you can search on parentID and get all the Children from that parent ID in this table.

Raghavendra-499237 (12/14/2015)

Hi,

I have a question about parent child table design. There is a parent table which relates 'n' number of child tables.

tblParent

tblChild1

tblChild2

tblChildn

Normally primary key of tblParent will be referenced in all child tables as a foreign key. But I would like to relate child tables with parent table in reverse order by adding a column in tblParent for each and every child tables as given below.

tblParent columns

P_ID (pk)

ch1_ID(fk1)

ch2_ID(fk2)

chn_ID(fkn)

Is this a right design for a high volume database? if not let me know what are the issues with this approach?

thanks in advance

Raghu

• There is no one to many relationship with parent to child, all are one-one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply