Page Life Expectancy

• Hello.

In a 2012 Standard Edition SP2 with cumulative update package 3, is it possible any new problem with PLE? His value is very low. Before of the CU3 his value was normal.

Is it possible that the bpool_committed value is 72GB? i believed that the max value for standard edition was 64 GB.

Thanks.

• Nothing I've heard of, but I assume you've tracked this. Low and normal are relative for systems. There is no good absolute value here.

• Are you hitting any other memory problems? What are the top waits? Just looking at PLE in isolation doesn't really say much about the system.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Steve, Grant, thanks so much for yours answers.

It is a busy DB, in the Top10 of wait types are PAGELATCH and PAGEIOLATCH, the average of pages read, scanned, written per second is now much bigger than december-2014, more people work in the DB, but i don't know if the relation between PLE and these measures is so strong.

It is normal the bpool-committed value of 72GB in a standrd edition?

Thanks for all.

P.D.: it isn't bpool-committed, it is committed_target_kb, sorry.

• IO latch waits are an indication of disk activity. What are your sec/read and sec/write currently? What are the other wait types in the top 10. Just the page latches does have some indication, but it's still not enough. Read through the memory counter suggestions here[/url] and see how that relates to your system.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Page IO latch is indicative of IO activity, as Grant mentioned but PageLatch isn't. Depending on what kind and what resource it could, if high enough, be indicating allocation contention or a modification hotspot, but it's not related to IO or memory afaik.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply