PAE Question

• Who words these questions.

You don't need pae for 4Gb. You only need it if you use more than 4Gb.

At 4Gb the /3GB switch can be used.

• I agree.

quote:

At what memory point must you set the /PAE ...

The important word is must. SQL will utilize 4GB without /PAE. Only at 8GB must /PAE be set otherwise SQL will only use 4GB.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• I do agree. 8GB is the right answer based on the wording of the question. Will you guys at sqlservercentral correct this?

• From the same article "The extra layer of translation is what provides access to physical memory beyond 4 GB."

I agree you can use /PAE with 4GB, however I don't see the benefit. 2K is still going to use 2GB leaving the rest for applications. I would use /3GB with 4 GB and a combination of /3GB and /PAE for above 4GB.

However, don't use /3GB if you have 16GB or greater (DataCenter Edition).

• I have to agree on this one the answer should be 8gb. From BOL

"To enable Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server to support more than 4 GB of physical memory, you must add the /pae parameter to the boot.ini file"

The emphasize to show that the /pae parameter is for MORE than 4gb not if using 4gb.

I know we are splitting hairs but the wording of the question could have been more clear.

Ross

• For what it's worth: I answered this question (cause I've had to do this one) through the daily update newsletter.

My initial answer was going to be 8 because the question was worded "at what memory point" and 8 being greater than 4, the threshold.

When I switched to a browser (to confirm my answer) I realised the wording was different, and chose the "more than 4GB" answer.

Jolly confusing or what? Not just the wording, but consistency of wording!

Raad

Raad

• I should have had a cup of coffee before answering this question!! I did not notice the difference in wording between the newsletter and the browser window for this question. So what was a correct answer the way the newsletter was written became an incorrect answer when I finally clicked "submit".

Kinda bummer since the answer is plain for all to read in BOL.

• Since corrections have been made in the past I always check the answer I give in the newsletter is the same in the forum, maybe I missed this one but I am sure that is not the case, oh well that is life. I think in the future I'll ignore the newsletter and go straight to the forum for the question

(but not for the content eh! )

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Who words these things? You don't need /PAE at 4GB.

Use of the /PAE switch in the Boot.ini and the AWE enable option in SQL Server allows SQL Server 2000 to utilize more than 4 GB memory. Without the /PAE switch SQL Server can only utilize up to 4 GB of memory

• Though I "got this question right", I completely agree that clearer wording would be nice, eg, "Above what memory point..."

John Scarborough
    MCDBA, MCSA

• I'd like it if there was only a warning if there was an actual change in the question. Otherwise it's like crying wolf everytime. I too answered 8GB and then proceeded to answer the question without double-checking. Grrr.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply