Package sources (SQL sever agent job)

• Hello!

I have a quick question and can't seem to find a straight forward answer to it, so was hoping for a hand.

I have an agent job which calls a .dtsx file. I've been asked to change this to use 'SQL Server' package source (because this is how the previous developer worked). I've imported my .dtsx into MSDB and it runs successfully.

My question is, is this task now independent from the file? I.e If I made a change to the original dtsx file I imported to MSDB, will this job now run the changes, or do I need to re-import it?

Also, what are the benefits of storing it like this? What can I do now that I couldn't do when it was stored as a file?

Thankyou in advance!

• Yes, it's independent. You're probably best off fixing on SQL Server storage or file storage and sticking with it, so that you don't get too confused and have lots of different versions of the same package floating around. I prefer storing packages as files, and I can't think of many advantages of keeping them in msdb. Perhaps security is one, and I suppose it's easier to script their deployment if they're in the database.

John

• Thanks John, speedy response and very helpful 🙂

Yes, I would usually keep them as files - and no-one here knows of a reason why I shouldn't, I've just been told not to. Ah well!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply