Package fails when adding field from Oracle

• We have an integration services package which collects data from an Oracle 7 database. At the moment it collects quite a lot of data but we need to add just one field.

However when the field is added we get this error (please see attached). I do not know if this is an Oracle error or a Microsoft error. The SQL server version is

9.00.1399.06RTMStandard Edition

Is this a fault fixed by a service pack or is this an Oracle error?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Madame Artois

• S Hodkinson (8/18/2010)

We have an integration services package which collects data from an Oracle 7 database. At the moment it collects quite a lot of data but we need to add just one field.

However when the field is added we get this error (please see attached). I do not know if this is an Oracle error or a Microsoft error. The SQL server version is

9.00.1399.06RTMStandard Edition

Is this a fault fixed by a service pack or is this an Oracle error?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Check generated query. ORA- error suggests query is malformed, like a missing "," in the select's column list or something of the sort.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • We have tried running the scripts attached but still get the error reported on the ODBC connection.

Madame Artois

• S Hodkinson (8/19/2010)

We have tried running the scripts attached but still get the error reported on the ODBC connection.

Please do this...

If query fails take out newly added column then execute again on sqlplus - post session log.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I do not have access currently to the Oracle database but I am trying to contact the people who have. Is there any way to check from SQL Server? Could it be the lack of service packs?

Madame Artois

• S Hodkinson (8/20/2010)

I do not have access currently to the Oracle database but I am trying to contact the people who have. Is there any way to check from SQL Server? Could it be the lack of service packs?

We don't know yet where the problem is, that's why we want to test queries running directly in Oracle.

Once we have certified our queries run in Oracle with no problems then we try from SQL Server... if they fail then the issue is on SQL Server side.

Usually I test and finetune every single query in Oracle side then I go to SQL Server side.

• Sorry for the delay; I was waiting for a colleague to return from leave.

With the help of my colleague, we have got to the bottom of this.

When you add the additional field, SQL server changed the ‘From’ clause to one with inner joins. However Oracle 7, which is what the database sits on, does not support inner joins. My colleague has now changed the sql to one which Oracle 7 supports and it does return data.

I am now waiting for another colleague to return from leave (so that he can understand what happened) before applying it.

Thanks for your help

Madame Artois

• S Hodkinson (8/26/2010)

Sorry for the delay; I was waiting for a colleague to return from leave.

With the help of my colleague, we have got to the bottom of this.

When you add the additional field, SQL server changed the ‘From’ clause to one with inner joins. However Oracle 7, which is what the database sits on, does not support inner joins. My colleague has now changed the sql to one which Oracle 7 supports and it does return data.

I am now waiting for another colleague to return from leave (so that he can understand what happened) before applying it.

Thanks for your help

Thank you for the feedback.

That's why I was asking to run generated query on Oracle side, to be sure it will run there.

Great job!!!

• My colleague has now returned from leave so we have sat down together and worked through it; he was as surprised as me. We have updated the original package (carefully keeping a copy!) so we should be OK now.

Thanks for all your help

Madame Artois

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply