Package corrupted....Help

• Hi,

One of my SSIS packages which I developed 2-3 months back got corrupted.

I just opened now and getting error that

There were errors while opening the package, it may be corrupted.

The detailed errors are attached .

The packages resides on the d drive of one of my server.

I regularly (weekend) take backup of the all databases, but i am not sure how db backups can help the packages getting corrupted.

Can any one help me .

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• When i click on hte OK button on error, i cna see the data flow tasks on package but i see the

error list in down.

I am not able to run it also. 🙁

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Are you logged into the machine as the same user that created the package? This looks like the error you see when you save a package and then open it as a different user and that package has embedded credentials..

CEWII

• Elliott Whitlow (9/30/2011)

Are you logged into the machine as the same user that created the package? This looks like the error you see when you save a package and then open it as a different user and that package has embedded credentials..

CEWII

Elliott,

Actually, when I created the package my windows domain account was different and now, it is changed.

I mean before it was RTT/sky and now it is RTT/sus

the RTT/sky is deleted now.

How to overcome that obstacle, so that I can still edit/run the packages?

Thanks.

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• That AD isuse is you base problem I think..

I don't think your package is actually corrupted..

You need to edit ALL the connection information and put in new credentials.

I would also STRONGLY suggest that you use trusted security whenever you can, storing passwords in a package is a recipe for disaster.

Was that all clear?

CEWII

That AD isuse is you base problem I think..

I don't think your package is actually corrupted..

You need to edit ALL the connection information and put in new credentials.

I would also STRONGLY suggest that you use trusted security whenever you can, storing passwords in a package is a recipe for disaster.

Was that all clear?

CEWII

I couldn't get you fully ...

Firstly, you meant that...I should open the package properties and try to change the creator from RTT/sky to RTT/sus, but when I do it, it says action couldn't be completed and access denied..

I had before encrypted a password in the package....does that mean its BAD PRACTICE ???

How can I edit from RTT/sky to RTT/sus?

Regards.

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (9/30/2011)

Firstly, you meant that...I should open the package properties and try to change the creator from RTT/sky to RTT/sus, but when I do it, it says action couldn't be completed and access denied..

I had before encrypted a password in the package....does that mean its BAD PRACTICE ???

The CreatorName field is an informational field, it has no effect on anything. Changing it wil do nothing for you.

The password stored could not be decrypted, the default setup for SSIS is that credentials are encrypted to a specific user. In this case you aren't that user anymore so you can't possible decrypt the password. What that means is that you basically need to change the connection string for your connection. You DON'T need to delete it and re-add it, that would only cause more problems. Double click on the connection and re-enter the credentials should probably do it.

I would consider storing passwords in the package a bad practice. You can get away with it IF NEED BE, by changing the package protection level to EncryptSensitiveWithPassword, but this requires you to enter a password ech time the package is opened. I usually set mine to DontSaveSensitive so it simply WON'T save encrypted data.. I also use Windows Authentication whenever I can, and push for its use even when there is resistance, I only use a username/password if I must.

Any clearer?

CEWII

SKYBVI (9/30/2011)

The CreatorName field is an informational field, it has no effect on anything. Changing it wil do nothing for you.

The password stored could not be decrypted, the default setup for SSIS is that credentials are encrypted to a specific user. In this case you aren't that user anymore so you can't possible decrypt the password. What that means is that you basically need to change the connection string for your connection. You DON'T need to delete it and re-add it, that would only cause more problems. Double click on the connection and re-enter the credentials should probably do it.

I would consider storing passwords in the package a bad practice. You can get away with it IF NEED BE, by changing the package protection level to EncryptSensitiveWithPassword, but this requires you to enter a password ech time the package is opened. I usually set mine to DontSaveSensitive so it simply WON'T save encrypted data.. I also use Windows Authentication whenever I can, and push for its use even when there is resistance, I only use a username/password if I must.

Any clearer?

CEWII

Double click on connection and re enter credentials-- you mean connection manager, right click, edit and re type password?

And what about the package password, how should I change it to DontSaveSensitive ..as used by you??

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (9/30/2011)

Double click on connection and re enter credentials-- you mean connection manager, right click, edit and re type password?

And what about the package password, how should I change it to DontSaveSensitive ..as used by you??

Yes, the connection manager. It will bring up a window that should allow you to fix it.

As for don't save sensitive, click anywhere in the control-flow of the package, just not on any object but the open areas. The properties window should show your package, scroll way down, you will see PackageProtectionLevel, 99% sure it says EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey, change that to DontSaveSensitive. Now your package won't save passwords. If you are still using passwords then you are gonna need to fix the connection manager EVERY time you open the package or run it.

CEWII

• @ elliott

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• You are very welcome.

CEWII

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply