P2V os sql vm to new host

• I have used P2V to replicate my sql vm to a new host alongside all its disks storage, the problem is that these disks are part of a failover cluster and when I try to bring them online on the new host the following error occurs: The disk must be in cluster maintenance mode and the cluster resource status must be online to perform this operation. What should I do?

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I think this depends on the P2V tools and VM host. But this is more of a server question than a SQL question. My advice would have been to not P2V the servers but instead create new VMs, install the required software, add the new VMs to the failover cluster and fail things over to the new server, then shut down the old failover cluster.

With the method you took, I imagine you will need to reconfigure the failover clustering because I suspect it is having issues with either hardware ID's or network paths or if you renamed the host during the P2V, the failover likely didn't get the new host name.

Here I think that google will be your best friend as the issue is related to how you P2V'ed the system and what your VM host is. VMWare will likely have different recommendations from Hyper-V (for example).

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply