Overwrite instead of append to file

• I need to email a list of jobs that failed, here is the code that I am using:

select sj.name from sysjobs as sj inner join sysjobservers as sjs on sj.job_id = sjs.job_id where sjs.last_run_outcome = '0'

I am writing this list to a file but it keeps appending to the file instead of overwriting, is it possible to overwrite???

Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson

• Sure. Or just delete (kill) the file if it exists before you export.

Andy

• You wouldn't happen to know the syntax to (kill) a txt file would you???

Steve Johnson

Edited by - Steve Johnson on 10/01/2001 12:40:49 PM

Steve Johnson

• there are a bunch of ways. is this a scheduled job? Add a step before that uses a CommandExec and a "del filename". you could also add a step to the DTS package that runs a t-sql command (xp_cmdshell) or a activeX script (using filesystemobject)

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• exec

master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'del C:\filename.txt'

That should do the trick, test it out in the query analyzer.

• Remember to double quote your path & filename, it will break if embedded spaces.

Andy

• Hi I was looking for the same solution and have tried the exec master.dbo.xp_cmdshell "del c:\dts_diag\sp_diagnostic_PO_13.xls" but when I run the PKG again it says it can't find the .xls file. I then have to go in to the transform data task and recreate the .xls file(or table as DTS calls it) before it will run again. Is there any other solution? All I'm doing is running a stored procedure nightly and would like to send the results in a .xls in the mail to the business users without appending...nightly

• If you are trying to resend the same XLS file, you probably want to "drop " the table and then recreate it using 2 T-SQL tasks.

I do this quite a bit and have an article in the works on it. Basically, when I build the Transform Data Task, I use the "create" button on the destination tab. Cut and paste this code into a T-SQL task that points to the XLS connection. Then add another T-SQL task that does a "Drop table" instead of the "create table". You can cut and paste the first line from the create statement.

Then I have:

Drop table

->Success->Create Table

->Failure->handle this

Create Table

-> Success ->run transform

-> Failure -> handle this

Sometimes I have had problems doing an xp_sendmail from within the DTS package, so I use a second step in the job to run xp_sendmail.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Steve, worked great! Thanks for the info.

Greg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply