Overlapping Exams

• Morning Guys,

I am  considering doing the MCSE/MCSA in various SQL Server subjects. I noticed that some of the MCSA exams overlap, by that, what I mean is:

If I pass 70-764 and 70-765 that would be an MCSA in SQL Server 2016 Database Administration

If I then take the elective 70-762 I would be an MCSE in Data Management and Analytics.

All good so far.

At this point I am now 1 exam away from another MCSA in DB Development. So can I just take the 70-761 exam and comnbine that with my existing 70-762 and be an MCSA in that area too?

Cheers
    Alex

• I did the 70-461 last year. Now that I'm looking at new MCPs to study for, I see that the 70-761 is very, very similar to the 70-461. I probably should have done the two on the same day.
    Looking at the 70-46x and 70-76x exams, there does seem to be a lot of overlap.
    Whether it is worth doing two exams on the same day from two different series is another question. Your company might be very happy though.

• alex.sqldba - Wednesday, November 21, 2018 1:59 AM

Morning Guys,

I am  considering doing the MCSE/MCSA in various SQL Server subjects. I noticed that some of the MCSA exams overlap, by that, what I mean is:

If I pass 70-764 and 70-765 that would be an MCSA in SQL Server 2016 Database Administration

If I then take the elective 70-762 I would be an MCSE in Data Management and Analytics.

All good so far.

At this point I am now 1 exam away from another MCSA in DB Development. So can I just take the 70-761 exam and comnbine that with my existing 70-762 and be an MCSA in that area too?

Cheers
    Alex

Just curious how this worked out for you, if you would receive an MCSE AND MCSA if you did the other exams too. 

I'm on a similar boat.  Just finished 70-761 and 70-762 for MCSA in DB Dev in SQL 2016.  Deciding if I want to do exam 70-464 (similar topics as my previous exam but covers development in SQL 2012/2014).  That would get me MCSE in Data Mgmt and Analytics. 

Wish I could take a SQL admin exam instead though (70-764 or 70-765) since it would make more sense for my career path.

• Good Evening Guys,

I am new to this sqlservercentral community and looking for some guidance and interaction with new 70-461 test takers. I work as a data analyst and using SQL Server 2012/2014 on moderate level. I was thinking to get MCSA SQL Server 2012/2014 certification since quite some time. I saw that this forum is quite recent, I decided to post my reply here. 

I was preparing for 70-461 since Jan 2019 and finished entire book 'Training Kit (Exam 70-461) Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (MCSA)'. I used to read one chapter a day and practice labs after work. I have taken a few practice tests as well and finally I took the test this morning at home through online proctoring. Unfortunately, I did not pass. I only scored 604. Quite disappointing. There were 42 questions and after starting the test, the test timer stopped for sometime, I asked for help and talked to one of their online proctors. They had to restart my session. When they restarted my session then clock started ticking again but I found that I have only an hour left and I was barely half way. I kind of got freaked out and trying to attempt questions faster. But there were some questions where I had to write code in the given code snippet, I had to spend more time there.

Overall, the exam is doable but It was my first time sitting for these certificate exams. Time management is the key. Mark your questions for review if you are not sure and try to answer those at the end.

I have to re-book my exam now. I am looking forward to hear from someone who has recently taken 70-461 or booked the test.

Thanks.

• Hi,
     I did the 70-461 exam last year and I found it hard (not difficult per se, just a lot to remember). It took me the better part of a year to go through that very same book (at night, after work). I've been writing & learning SQL since 2000 and I knew a lot of it already. In the end, I passed it with time to spare.

There is a lot in the course. I did my best to incorporate it into my everyday work. As an example, although I find UPDATE, DELETE and INSERT statements logically easier to work with than a MERGE, I tried using MERGE instead of the standard DML statements. I don't especially like it but after a week of it, it came reasonably quickly.

Likewise there are chapters that were new to me — XML (which is, in our company, normally the domain of the developers), Full-Text Search, synonyms, to name but a few.

There were also parts that I learnt anew and use every week — OUTPUT DELETED.*, rows & ranges in windowing functions for example as well as refreshing my knowledge on isolation levels. When you can explain ACID, dirty and phantom reads to a 10-year old and they understand you, you know that you understand isolation levels. Make yourself flash cards and test yourself on syntax (for example, all of the options available to GROUP BY or the windowing functions). If you have a 30-minute train-commute each day, you can use it profitably with these cards.

There are sample questions available from third-party companies and the Microsoft exams do take some getting used to. If you are feeling ambitious, you might also consider the 70-761 exam. It has a new features but the two look very similar. It shouldn't be too much more effort to get both.

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply