Outstanding balances for invoice table

• I have a table with cust references payment type pi or pa, amounts and transaction dates

The table design is actually not great because the if the incoming and outgoings transactions were always linked by reference then I could use that but unfortunately they're not and I have to work with what I have.

so given that i might have

cust1   pi   10.00    01/01/2020

cust1  pi    20.00   01/01/2020

cust2 pi     5.00       02/0/1/2020

cust1  pa   -5.00   02/01/2020

cust2 pa   -5.00     03/02/2020

cust 1 pi  1.00     03/02/2020

I'd like to show two entries for customer 1 for 1 and  10 and not show cust 2 at all because there balance is zero. The report that does it currently seems to do a running total for each customer in the table which as you can imagine is quote slow and I'd love to hear any ideas on a more efficient way of doing it .

Thanks

• I should mention I've already thought of summing by each customer to give me customers who have an outstanding balance but I'd like an efficient way of running through the resulting transactions to only give ones that are still outstanding.

• Which method of running total is the report currently using?

Have you considered using SUM() OVER()?

Whichever method you're using, indexing will profoundly affect the query velocity.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply