Outsourced = Laid Off?

• J Thaddeus Klopcic (7/15/2011)

cengland0 (7/15/2011)

J Thaddeus Klopcic (7/15/2011)

$50k - $75k plus nice benefits isn't enough? Sorry -- our systems can't spin gold from straw.

Depends. What city and state are you in? How many years of experience are you looking for? What certifications are required for the job ? Does this person manage anyone else? How much schooling is required (None, Bachelors, Masters, etc)?

Does the candidate just need MS SQL or My SQL, Oracle, and Teradata?

http://www.earthnetworks.com/AboutUs/Jobs/tabid/109/newsid540/192/Default.aspx

Honestly, I'm not sure what they are really willing to offer. This was just a guesstimate. However, I do know that the company is only making a certain number of sales in this economic climate, and the value-add for a new DBA is only a certain amount, so the company can only offer a limited amount in salary. Those are the bare facts. If you think you are worth more, start your own company.

DBAs make a hell of a lot more than $50k, except in those cases where they are patently unqualified to hold the position. I know of one making that range, the individual is incapable of doing the job. Every DBA I know that can do the job is paid almost twice that or more.

Dave

• Why dont we break it down on an average:

1200rent

400groceries

300gas car

100ins car

200eletric

100gas

300health ins

300car payment

2900total monthly cost

34800total year cost

44544with tax cost tossed in

So on an Average to live in america you need roughly $44,544 Just to live!

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• bopeavy (7/15/2011)

Why dont we break it down on an average:

1200rent

400groceries

300gas car

100ins car

200eletric

100gas

300health ins

300car payment

2900total monthly cost

34800total year cost

I think those costs are a bit on the light side

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Probably So in most cities but it does get the point cross.

• bopeavy (7/15/2011)

Probably So in most cities but it does get the point cross.

Point taken.

Learn Extended Events

• bopeavy (7/15/2011)

1200rent

400groceries

300gas car

100ins car

200eletric

100gas

300health ins

300car payment

2900total monthly cost

34800total year cost

This assumes one income per household.

bopeavy (7/15/2011)

1200rent

400groceries

300gas car

100ins car

200eletric

100gas

300health ins

300car payment

2900total monthly cost

34800total year cost

The only thing that really changes if there is more than one income per household is the taxes. Also, we would have to assume that family size is negligible in this case. Larger families = larger costs.

Learn Extended Events

• J Thaddeus Klopcic (7-15-2011)

And you assume that there should not be only one income. From a home perspective having a family I do not think that youo should have to have more than one income in a house hold. This leads back to why kids are much more out of controll today because a 2 income family does not have the resource to take care of thier kids.

• djackson 22568 (7/15/2011)

cengland0 (7/15/2011)

$50k - $75k plus nice benefits isn't enough? Sorry -- our systems can't spin gold from straw.

Depends. What city and state are you in? How many years of experience are you looking for? What certifications are required for the job ? Does this person manage anyone else? How much schooling is required (None, Bachelors, Masters, etc)?

Honestly, I'm not sure what they are really willing to offer. This was just a guesstimate. However, I do know that the company is only making a certain number of sales in this economic climate, and the value-add for a new DBA is only a certain amount, so the company can only offer a limited amount in salary. Those are the bare facts. If you think you are worth more, start your own company.

DBAs make a hell of a lot more than $50k, except in those cases where they are patently unqualified to hold the position. I know of one making that range, the individual is incapable of doing the job. Every DBA I know that can do the job is paid almost twice that or more.

If a good DBA can demand and get $90k in this economy, then there should not be any good DBAs complaining about being unemployed long term.

• SQLRNNR (7/15/2011)

bopeavy (7/15/2011)

1200rent

400groceries

300gas car

100ins car

200eletric

100gas

300health ins

300car payment

2900total monthly cost

34800total year cost

The only thing that really changes if there is more than one income per household is the taxes. Also, we would have to assume that family size is negligible in this case. Larger families = larger costs.

Assuming a household of two incomes (no children, because child costs were not included in the original example), then rent, electric, gas (heat), some taxes and some groceries can be split in half. If you are young and struggling, follow the time-proven method of economizing: get a roommate.

• bopeavy (7/15/2011)

J Thaddeus Klopcic (7-15-2011)

And you assume that there should not be only one income. From a home perspective having a family I do not think that youo should have to have more than one income in a house hold. This leads back to why kids are much more out of controll today because a 2 income family does not have the resource to take care of thier kids.

Agreed:cool:

Learn Extended Events

• bopeavy (7/15/2011)

Well, it would be nice for everybody to stay home and raise their families all day. But when times get tough, people do what they need to to get by.

djackson 22568 (7/15/2011)

cengland0 (7/15/2011)

If a good DBA can demand and get $90k in this economy, then there should not be any good DBAs complaining about being unemployed long term.

I haven't heard of any good DBAs out of work long-term so it must hold true.

Learn Extended Events

• J Thaddeus Klopcic (7-15-2011)

bopeavy (7/15/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it would be nice for everybody to stay home and raise their families all day. But when times get tough, people do what they need to to get by.

Man come on? Who said anything about everyone staying home?

SQLRNNR (7/15/2011)

bopeavy (7/15/2011)

1200rent

400groceries

300gas car

100ins car

200eletric

100gas

300health ins

300car payment

2900total monthly cost

34800total year cost

Assuming a household of two incomes (no children, because child costs were not included in the original example), then rent, electric, gas (heat), some taxes and some groceries can be split in half. If you are young and struggling, follow the time-proven method of economizing: get a roommate.

Interesting, I hadn't considered having roommates as qualifying for household. With roommates (in my area) then the costs listed above would seem accurate and would be a step down from normal costs that I have seen. And since there are multiple people chipping in for those grocery costs - you can guarantee that bill will be replaced with "eating out" thus maintaining that cost.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 238 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply