Output to file and then Bulk Insert problems/questions

• There is a column in a table which contains pipe delimited values.  I want to manipulate these values individually, so I thought I would create a temp or work table to store the values and use a series of TSQL statements to extract the column to a text file then insert the values to this work table.  Make sense?

I am able to do as I describe except that I have to manually edit the output file before I can bulk insert. 

When I use the Query Analyzer to create the file, I'm stuck with text like "(4 rows affected)" at the bottom.  This annoys the bulk insert--even if I tell it first row/last row.  I've tried various switches on the command line using osql but I cannot supress that message.

So I ask how do you supress that "# rows affected" message? Also, I seem to end up with an empty first row, so I have to tell bulk insert FIRSTROW=2--can that be avoided?

Also, I may want to do this from a stored procedure--or even to do it in the QA--is there TSQL to output to a file from within a stored proc or the QA?

Thanks for any help.

Gina

• To suppress the # rows affected message just include this before your query.

SET NOCOUNT ON

This will take care of the trailing message from the query results.

• A better way would be to use a function to separate the text column by the delimeter so that you can avoid exporting directly.

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.FAQ_ListToSingleColumn

(

@cslist VARCHAR(8000)

, @delim char(1)

, @offset smallint

)

RETURNS varchar (255)

BEGIN 

DECLARE @spot SMALLINT, @STR VARCHAR(8000), @sql VARCHAR(8000), @count int, @returnstr varchar(255)

set @count = 0    

WHILE @cslist <> '' 

BEGIN 

set @count = @count + 1

SET @spot = CHARINDEX(@delim, @cslist) 

IF @spot>0 

BEGIN 

SET @STR = LEFT(@cslist, @spot-1) 

SET @cslist = RIGHT(@cslist, LEN(@cslist)-@spot) 

END 

ELSE 

BEGIN 

SET @STR = @cslist 

SET @cslist = '' 

END 

if @count = @offset begin

set @returnstr = @STR

break

end

END 

RETURN (@returnstr)

END

GO

select dbo.FAQ_ListToSingleColumn(@t,'|',3) will return the 3rd element of the string.  You probably know how many different columns you will end up with so you could create statement to select all the columns:

select dbo.FAQ_ListToSingleColumn(@t,'|',1)  as COL1

, dbo.FAQ_ListToSingleColumn(@t,'|',2)  as COL2

, dbo.FAQ_ListToSingleColumn(@t,'|',3)  as COL3

, dbo.FAQ_ListToSingleColumn(@t,'|',4)  as COL4

from <table>

This would be a lot simpler and avoid problems of blank rows etc.  I have not tested the function exhaustively so it may have a bug in it.

J

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply