Out of Memory Error

• I have created a report that takes up 2 pages. If I try to save the results it becomes over 11,000 pages and I get an out of memory error. The data area repeats over and over with the same data. My data sets are fairly small there are only 4 elements. The only parameters that I use are a beginning and ending dates and the report is for a 1 month period.

I have not deployed the report yet because I an trying to save the report and get it approved.

Can anyone tell me why I am getting the repeat data and how to stop it?

• How do you populate the datasets? With a SQL query?

Wich data container did you use? Table, matrix, list?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Ken,

I am populating my my data set with a query from a single table which I populate daily with jobs from approximately 80 data bases over 9 servers. The data set includes property,stats_date, rooms, OOO, occupied and occupied_prev. I have a query for each property to make it property specific.

The container is a Table.

• Increase the max server memory setting. Free caches by using one of the following commands: DBCC FREESYSTEMCACHE, DBCC FREESESSIONCACHE, or DBCC FREEPROCCACHE. If the problem reappears, reduce workload.

• Are you using linked servers? I recently had the same error occurring with MSADORA (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ORACLE). Linked servers use MTL (VAS) memory the allocated default is a much smaller, limited amount than the memory alllocated into its buffer cache for querying, stored procedures, etc. To fix the problem, I had to run the provider OUTSIDE of SQL (in the o/s). I configured that via studio: Server Object->LinkdServers->Providers, right-click on provider for its options and DISABLE the "Allow in Process" option.

If the data driver/provider for link server doesn’t show you the “Allow in process” option or if you uncheck it and then a linked serve you have that uses it stops working, then I am told that the AllowInProcess value can be found at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer(or MSSQL$instance key)\Providers\[ProviderName]). The registry value has to be 0 and the check box has to be unchecked. I did not have to do this though, so I cannot confirm if this is good information or not...hopefully others can let us know.

There is another option, to use a -g switch when starting sql to allocate more MTL memory, but Microsoft does not reccomend using it unless the the above does not resolve the problem and there is no other way to reduce MTL usage.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply