Out of disk space--Now What?

• I've got a server where the data drive has filled to capacity. Yes, I've been after the application owner for months telling them that we'd need to buy more disk space. Of course, this suggestion has fallen on deaf ears until today. The drive filled to capacity. Fortunately, I've just took a full backup--so the data is safe.

My question is what now? The drive is full and the db is erroring as a result. This application automatically creates another database when the previous database reaches a size of about 30gb. Right now, it has three such files and is about to spawn another. We're looking at freeing up space on the SAN. It seems like each of these databases would need to reside in one area.....though I don't know. Can someone explain more about how some of these databases might reside on the server and others on the SAN? Is that possible?

Thanks!

• How about your maintenance plans, how many days do they back up? Can you move some of your backups to another server?

How about creating and SSIS package to move some of the data to another server? Then create a job to process this move once a night.

Those are some initial ideas that I had. Hope it helps.

• It's a long story, but I've already moved the backups off of this server. So there's no additional space to be gained that way.....

Is it possible to have some of the databases residing on the server and others on the SAN? In thinking about this, I suppose I can set the location of the mdf and ldf files....

• The SAN drives are just other disks to the OS. You can have some MDf/NDF/LDF files local and some on the SAN, though I wouldn't recommend it. I'd start migrating them all to the SAN over the next few days, planning for space needs.

• Steve,

Thanks! That's what I was thinking--that's it's possible but not the best option. I'll mention the additional space needs....for the SAN move...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply