our job status

• All,

All of us know market is not good now. while we had coffee today, we suddenly discussed about ' what is our next job if IT field gone ? '.....actually the discussion went very fun....

somebody said farmer and somebody said robbery ( just for fun)....

i thought immediately, why can't i put this question here? so that i can get different answers from different sector,may be valuable or fun,sometime it may give birth to some good ideas.

my option would be becoming a farmer cum teacher.:P

funs are welcome !

:):P;)

karthik

• Boy if I lost this job I hope I could get an IT job. I guess you never know.

I would probably struggle along in another IT job for another 10 years. Once my kids were gone, who knows. Might go back to tending bar.

• I don't see the IT field going away. I think it's here to stay. What we do in the field, howver, can very easily change.

This is what I wanted to do since high school. I don't know what I'd do if I had to change career fields.

• IT isn't going away any time soon. If it does, we'll be far to busy eating each other to worry about where a pay check is going to come from.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I now do a job that didn't exist when I went to school or when I first started work. I was originally a public health technician before I got into IT but I don't suppose I could go back into looking for bugs and checking washroom facilities!

I always liked psychology but I don't think I fancy the clients. Is that too many years of dealing with users?

Madame Artois

• Interesting topic. I'd want to become a lumberjack. I'd sleep all night and I'd work all day... then again I do that now too. At least I'd get fresh air, sunshine and buttered scones with tea.

• Well I'm at Tata-AIG. Situation was grim couple of months back when AIG managed $86B loan from federal bank. For a moment i thought to go back to my profession of teacher.... Thankfully its getting better with each passing day.....

It may seems awkward but i've built hell lot of dependencies on me. Besides being DBA, i look into app support, infrastructure and telephony too!!

Until the company shuts down forever(which is highly unlikely) i feel relatively safer 😉

:w00t:

Pradeep Singh

• Ian Massi (12/16/2008)

Interesting topic. I'd want to become a lumberjack. I'd sleep all night and I'd work all day... then again I do that now too. At least I'd get fresh air, sunshine and buttered scones with tea.

Don't forget..Wearing women's clothing 😛

• Lynn Pettis (12/16/2008)

Ian Massi (12/16/2008)

Interesting topic. I'd want to become a lumberjack. I'd sleep all night and I'd work all day... then again I do that now too. At least I'd get fresh air, sunshine and buttered scones with tea.

Don't forget..Wearing women's clothing 😛

And hanging around in bars...

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I now do a job that didn't exist when I went to school or when I first started work.

Same here. I was a nurse aide in college, an accountant after graduating, and can grow vegetables like a house afire. I'd find something to do to feed myself. But if I can hang on 10 more years, and Social Security doesn't get fouled up by special interests...

Speaking of Social Security, and I hope I'm not commiting a forum faux paux here, but have you noticed how the pressure to privitize Soc Security has gone away since the financial sector has proved themselves to be not so trustworthy? Just like the pressure to privitize energy production went away after the Enron/California problems. Please correct me if I should not have brought this up...I'm new to forums.

• Well in a pinch I could go back to being a veterinary assistant or a substitute office worker, but as far as an alternative career - if doing business analysis is still too close to IT to count, I would probably teach high school science (my degrees are in geology) and go to school at night to get an accounting degree, then become some sort of accountant.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• Old SQL Newbie (12/16/2008)

I now do a job that didn't exist when I went to school or when I first started work.

Same here. I was a nurse aide in college, an accountant after graduating, and can grow vegetables like a house afire. I'd find something to do to feed myself. But if I can hang on 10 more years, and Social Security doesn't get fouled up by special interests...

Speaking of Social Security, and I hope I'm not commiting a forum faux paux here, but have you noticed how the pressure to privitize Soc Security has gone away since the financial sector has proved themselves to be not so trustworthy? Just like the pressure to privitize energy production went away after the Enron/California problems. Please correct me if I should not have brought this up...I'm new to forums.

Not really. Unfortunately, the Politicians refuse to accept their role in the problem as well! They are just as guilty for the problems that have occured.

• I think these politicians are so uninformed about the details of the issues that they depend on staff to summarize the information for them. That leaves the window open for the staff to be misinformed by lobbyists that stand to gain the most financially by privitizing.

• I would go with my retirement plan: never fully leave the work force, but hold several Fun Jobs part time.

I would be a travel agent, Pilates instructor and maybe own a landscaping business.

But I also do not see IT ever going away. The economic downturn is affecting every industry, but, the world is not going to eliminate IT. I still believe that if I lose this job, there will be another. Since none of us know when/if we'll be caught in a cutback, I'm in contact with my recruiter friends, just in case!

• Old SQL Newbie (12/16/2008)

I now do a job that didn't exist when I went to school or when I first started work.

At least it's in a non-tech forum. The problem with SS is it's run by humans, controls large chunks of cash, it's main recipients do not need to work, and the payouts are well into the future.

Perfect storm for screw-ups, fraud, petty politics, greed and corruption. Doesn't matter public or private, it's a boondoggle. Keep it public, politicians will make promises ranging to the impossible, causing it collapse.

Make it private and in the BEST case, some will get hosed when they retire around the time of a market correction.

I don't see a good answer, but I have a libertarian (Actually Classical Liberal, but no one knows the term now) bent, so I'd prefer erring toward personal control.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply