Original Theatrical Release of Star Wars

• I was spending a month with a friend in California the summer I graduated from high school and saw it the first time there. I saw several times again after coming back home as well.

I thought it was an awesome movie at the time! Still a classic in the genre!

• Bob Hovious (4/30/2009)

john.arnott (4/30/2009)

Bob Hovious (4/29/2009)

... and of course "I'm gonna hit you with this crowbar until you go away!"

So, you're telling us that Darth Vader wrote "Catcher in the Rye?";-)

No, John, that was a reference to a line by Terrence Mann (James Earl Jones) in "Field of Dreams".

I saw a parody video that showed footage of Barry... errr Darth Vader with lines from other movies in which James Earl Jones starred. The crowbar line was used as Vader approached Obi Wan for their final dual, charging up his lightsabre.

...And "Terrence Mann" was the fictionalized author's name in the movie "Field of Dreams". The novel actually has Kinsella chase after J.D.Salinger. I've not seen the parody you refer to, but did see the James Earl Jones connection.

• The parody was good, but not brilliant. It's probably still out there somewhere.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I think it was the first (and one of the few) movie I saw more than once in a theatre. And my friends and I had to drive more than 20 miles to the nearest theatre each time.

Greg

• While trying not to reveal much about my age - myself and 3 buddies climbed into a car a drove to the theater complex that was the biggest in Chicago (at the time). They had 6 screens, 3 showing Star Wars. We stood in line for nearly 2 hours but it was an awesome experience, everyone in the theater with their eyes as big as dinner plates, mouths agape.... AND, they had surround-sound which caused the seats to unintentionally vibrate during certain scenes in the film. What a blast.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Dave Smith (4/30/2009)

I saw it with my parents at the Meadows Center Cinema duplex in Terre Haute, IN, USA.

I was 6 years old.

It took a few days to get my jaw off of the ground.

And btw, Han shot first!

That's why he's still alive after dealing with the Hutt/etc. Obviously you'd be toast, with all your 'principles'...;-)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Yes indeed I did.

And why did no one take the opportunity 4 days ago to say:

"May the 4th be with you"?

(And why in the world did the Spell Check want to change 4th to 5th!?)

• Jim Russell (5/8/2009)

Yes indeed I did.

And why did no one take the opportunity 4 days ago to say:

"May the 4th be with you"?

Someone on here did, just not this thread.

Jim Russell (5/8/2009)

(And why in the world did the Spell Check want to change 4th to 5th!?)

probably because of Cinco de Mayo

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• I saw it with Linda, a girl I was dating. When we got to the box office, the ticket seller says, "I only have two together in the center of the third row." I said, "We'll take them!" And dragged my date inside. Linda spent the whole movie either complaining about sitting so close to the screen or telling me she thought the movie was stupid. BTW, tomorrow is my wedding anniversary. I've been married to Debra for 28 years. I haven't seen Linda since just after Star Wars opened. 😀

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Dave (5/8/2009)

I saw it with Linda, a girl I was dating. When we got to the box office, the ticket seller says, "I only have two together in the center of the third row." I said, "We'll take them!" And dragged my date inside. Linda spent the whole movie either complaining about sitting so close to the screen or telling me she thought the movie was stupid. BTW, tomorrow is my wedding anniversary. I've been married to Debra for 28 years. I haven't seen Linda since just after Star Wars opened. 😀

Didn't want to wait a day:

[font="Verdana"]Happy Anniversary!![/font] <>

• I didn't see it on the day it opened in the UK, but certainly within the first week. I took my kid brother along one time (his first, my fourth time), and came out of the cinema at the end singing songs from Grease which had also just opened. I'm still trying to forgive him.

Went to see the 'Musical Journey' show that Lucasfilm has put together a couple of weeks ago. It had the world premiere in London, and will be on a (slow) world tour. If it comes anywhere near you I can't stress how much you need to get a ticket. This was the first time my son had seen any of the film on a large screen - and we were both blown away.

Do not write in this space.

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2009)

Many belated thanks for the applause.

And did I mention that we have 45 episodes of Stargate: SG-1 queued up on our TiVo?

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • I saw it in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA. I was at a class on ModComp MAX III operating systems - the eight of us (all geeks of course) in the class skipped the afternoon session and headed to the theater. We were going to stay and see it again but the theater had rent-a-cops to clear it between showings. I have to say that Star Wars has had a lot better staying power than MAX III!

• We saw it on the Saturday after its release. Bought tickets and had to wait 2 showings before we could get in. My pregnant wife hated me for staying at the mall for so long - but after watching the movie - the hate turned to appreciation as it was clearly the greatest movie we ever saw up to that time.

WHAT A CLASSIC!!!!

Joe

• Dave (5/21/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2009)

Many belated thanks for the applause.

And did I mention that we have 45 episodes of Stargate: SG-1 queued up on our TiVo?

My wife and kids finally gave me one of the presents I really wanted for Christmas, ALL 10 Seasons of Stargate SG-1 on DVD. Not that I have watched them yet. But I finally got them!

Now, if I can only get Babylon 5 ...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply