Origin of 1st, 2nd, 3rd normal forms specifications....

• I always assumed that E.F. Codd introduced the normalization levels we use. But when I read, for the first time, his seminal paper, he described 13 rules that a database must follow to be called relational but I didn't find any references Normalizaiton.  Who codified (forgive me) the rules of Normalizaiton that we now use?

TIA,

Bill

• What an interesting question! I assume that your asking from an academic standpoint, rather than "What is normalization..." (if you are asking the latter, a search on Google for E.F Codd will get you there).

I was an academic at one point (in philosophy and mathematics of all things), and I think I found it. As far as I can tell the first time he really talks about normalizaiton is in an IBM research paper "Further Normalization of the Data Base Relational Model" in 1972. I believe at this point you'd have to pay to get a copy of it (the original work, that is - it's quoted and referenced by everyone else in database and set theory).

Hope that helps a bit - not 100% certain that it's the first time he *published* something that talks about normalization rather than his original 12 rules.

Anyone know 100%?

• It was actually E. F. Codd who called it Normalization because then President Richard Milhouse I am not a crook Nixon was normalizing relationship with China so Codd called it Normalization.  It is in the appendices of one of the best Data Modeling Books very old and still in first print.  The book is Data Modeling by G. Lawrence Sanders and the second book in the link below.  Hope this helps.

http://www.databaseanswers.com/modelling_books.htm

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• If I recall right, Boyce Codd did not create normal forms but described what is called Boyce Codd Normal form which is very close to what we now know as third normal form. From Wikipedia:

Boyce-Codd normal form (or BCNF) is a normal form used in database normalization. It is a slightly-stronger version of third normal form (3NF). Boyce-Codd normal form requires that there be no non-trivial functional dependencies of attributes on something other than a superset of a candidate key (called a superkey). In a 3NF table, all attributes are dependent on a key, a whole key and nothing but a key (excluding trivial dependencies, like A->A). A table is said to be in BCNF if and only if it is in 3NF and every non-trivial, left-irreducible functional dependency has a candidate key as its determinant. In more informal terms, a table is in BCNF if it is in 3NF and the only determinants are the candidate keys.

• You might also check out this paper which is mentioned in the wikipedia article:

1. ^ Codd, Edgar F. (June 1970). "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks". Communications of the ACM 13 (6): 377-387.

It is described as the article where he describes normalization.

• Billsalkin:

I certainly not excuse that atrocious, delicious pun! Ciddify, indeed!

That one goes into my collection.

• Actaully, Codd did create and describe the various normal forms. Ray Boyce worked for IBM to implement the theories as an actual relational database called System R. It was through Ray Boyce's work with Codd that BCNF was devised.

• Hi mkeast,

You mean these people don't know the meaning of BCNF? I would find that very funny.  Relational algebra expert Chris Date said those who practice without theory are like sailors without compass.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks to everyone for your responses! This is, in my opinion, one fantastic strings of answers!

Thanks,

Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply