Ordering by Alias

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Ordering by Alias

• There is a typo in the explanation.  The date format is given for 103 and not 101

• Nice question, thanks Steve

However, the answer reflects 103's explanation, not 101

• The answer depends on the data type of dbo.SalesHeader.OrderDate. If it's a datetime or similar then the answer is 6 as given. But if it's a varchar column then the answer is 7.

• Ah, I'm not the only one to notice the typo then 🙂

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• Toreador wrote:

The answer depends on the data type of dbo.SalesHeader.OrderDate. If it's a datetime or similar then the answer is 6 as given. But if it's a varchar column then the answer is 7.

However, if it were a varchar, why would you be converting it to a varchar..? Style codes only affected when convert to or from a varchar from another data type. Although not explicitly stated that OrderDate is a Date and time datatype, it's well implied.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

However, if it were a varchar, why would you be converting it to a varchar..? Style codes only affected when convert to or from a varchar from another data type. Although not explicitly stated that OrderDate is a Date and time datatype, it's well implied.

Indeed. Also if it were a varchar then why would you call it OrderDate? But I've seen worse designs over the years!

• Did the answer change from something else to 6? I'm seeing OrderKey 6 as correct now, and that seems to work.

With date type for original order date, format 101 returns OrderKey 6 and OrderDate 02/09/2015. Format 103 returns OrderKey 1 and OrderDate 01/09/2017.

• jschmidt 17654 wrote:

Did the answer change from something else to 6?

Nope, it was always 6.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Good one Steve!

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• date format 101 is mm/dd/yyy and therefore the answer is 4

• john-byrne wrote:

date format 101 is mm/dd/yyy and therefore the answer is 4

'04'is less than '02'?

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• In 101, I get this returned:

2019-10-28 08_32_08-Window

The formatting returns mm/dd/yyyy, which means we are ordering by month first, then day, then year.  For a character set, "02" is the earliest date, which is orderkey 6.

Explanation corrected.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply