Order of predicates

• Hi is it safe to rely on the order of predicates.

select 'none' fld into #t union all select 'end' union all select '123' union all

select '567' union all select '0' union all select '0000'

go

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

AND cast(fld as int) > 0

-- ok returns 123 + 567

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE cast(fld as int) > 0

AND ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

-- fails Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'none' to data type int

Is it safe to rely on this behaviour? if I put isnumeric in first the cast will only be working on numeric values

WITH CTE AS

(

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

)

SELECT fld from CTE WHERE cast(fld as int) > 0

-- fails Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'none' to data type int

The CTE also failed I thought the CTE would exclude non numeric values when I used it.

Thanks

• T-SQL is a declarative language, which means that you're not telling the engine how to process the query, you just tell it what you want it to do. That means that the conditions won't be executed in order.

One option is to use the CASE statement which actually allows that behavior.

There's another problem with your code. I included a demonstration, but for further information read the following article: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/ISNUMERIC()/71512/

select 'none' fld into #t union all select 'end' union all select '123' union all

select '567' union all select '0' union all select '0000'

go

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE CASE WHEN ISNUMERIC(fld) = 1 THEN cast(fld as int) END > 0

GO

INSERT INTO #t VALUES('$');

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE CASE WHEN ISNUMERIC(fld) = 1 THEN cast(fld as int) END > 0

GO

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE CASE WHEN fld NOT LIKE '%[^0-9]%' THEN cast(fld as int) END > 0

GO

DROP TABLE #t

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Just as a side note, this won't fail:

WITH X AS

(

SELECT fld

FROM #t

)

SELECT fld

FROM X

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (9/24/2015)

Just as a side note, this won't fail:

WITH X AS

(

SELECT fld

FROM #t

)

SELECT fld

FROM X

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

Since the optimiser pushes predicates down as far as it can, that's equivalent to

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

AND cast(fld as int) > 0

Their execution plans are identical.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/24/2015)

Alan.B (9/24/2015)

WITH X AS

(

SELECT fld

FROM #t

)

SELECT fld

FROM X

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

Since the optimiser pushes predicates down as far as it can, that's equivalent to

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

AND cast(fld as int) > 0

Is there any way to anticipate this behavior? Is it documented anywhere? Or was I correct on the safe option?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thank you Luis

I didn't know of the isnumeric issue, I made the same wrong assumption as your link says most people make.

I treat it as declarative but was surprised to see the order made a difference.

I didn't know a CASE could be used in a WHERE clause. Am I correct in reading that when isnumeric = 0 the result is NULL and NULL is not > 0 (it's null) so that row is not selected.

• Luis Cazares (9/24/2015)

GilaMonster (9/24/2015)

Alan.B (9/24/2015)

WITH X AS

(

SELECT fld

FROM #t

)

SELECT fld

FROM X

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

SELECT fld

FROM #t

WHERE ISNUMERIC(fld) =1

AND cast(fld as int) > 0

Is there any way to anticipate this behavior? Is it documented anywhere? Or was I correct on the safe option?

I know this thread has gone a little stale but...

I was trying to figure something similar out and posted my question in this thread[/b]).

Eirikur's replies were very informative. The undocumented traceflags give an interesting view of what's happening under the hood and I ended up watching Benjamin Nevarez' video that discusses them in detail.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply