Oracle Transparent Gateway - port security

• Hey all,

So, we were able to successfully set up oracle transparent gateway on one of our test servers. This is going from an Oracle 10g database to a SQL Server 2005 database. This is great, but the one we really need it working on now is not. The test server didn't have any firewall restrictions, and this one does. Our security is very tight and need to know exactly which ports to open in which direction.

Does anyone know how the ports must be set up in order for the gateway to communicate properly?

From what I understand, the oracle database initiates the connection with the db link, so, we currently have an ingress port opened on the sql server db server.

Thanks in advance!

Jen

ps - I tried opening metalink on oracle, but do not know my company's support identifier

• Hi Jennifer,

Sorry, but are you trying to connect to SQL Server 2005 from your Oracle Transparent Gateway tool? If so, you will need to speak with SQL Server on ports 1433 and 1434, unless these have been changed for security reasons.

If this is not the answer you are looking for, please explain your exact requirement.

Thanks,

Phillip Cox

MCITP- DBAdmin

• Phillip,

Thank you for the prompt response. I am trying to get an oracle db to be able to grab information from the sql server db.

We installed the gateway on the sql server machine. The gateway is communicating on port 1111, as is the oracle db. So, we opened the firewall for ingress connections from 1111. Since the gateway already resides on the sql server machine, we didn't think we needed to open any additional ports to sql server.

The goal is to have the oracle db be able to grab information from the sql server database.

So, my question is - what ports need to be opened in the firewall and in what direction - egress or ingress?

Thanks,

Jen

• Jennifer Schepers (3/10/2008)

Phillip,

Thank you for the prompt response. I am trying to get an oracle db to be able to grab information from the sql server db.

We installed the gateway on the sql server machine. The gateway is communicating on port 1111, as is the oracle db. So, we opened the firewall for ingress connections from 1111. Since the gateway already resides on the sql server machine, we didn't think we needed to open any additional ports to sql server.

The goal is to have the oracle db be able to grab information from the sql server database.

So, my question is - what ports need to be opened in the firewall and in what direction - egress or ingress?

Thanks,

Jen

Ok, got it!

Can you provide following details:

1. How many Sid's have you configured?

2. How many databases are you trying to access

3. Have you configured the initialization parameter file with correct SQL Server?

4. Have you configured the listener.ora file correctly?

5. Have you checked if Windows Firewall is running? If so, you'll need to create an exception

Thanks,

Phillip Cox

MCITP - DBAdmin

• 1. 1 SID

2. There is one oracle database that is trying to access one sql server database.

3. I think so

4. I think so

5. We do have a firewall -- another group handles this. What exceptions will I need to create?

• Phillip - thank you for your advice. We were able to solve the problem on our end. It did not turn out to be additional firewall issues. Opening the port for the gateway to communicate on (ingress) was sufficient.

Our problem was a bad path in the ORACLE_HOME directory in the listener.ora file on the sql server machine. If anyone else gets the following error -- it may be your ORACLE_HOME path...

ORA-28545: error diagnosed by Net8 when connecting to an agent Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65535 ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from

Thanks!

Jen

• Hi Jennifer,

Any progress?

I will create a test setup later today or tommorrow and let you know results. Sounds like you have configured everything properly, so I am at a lost as to why you cannot connect.

Thanks,

Phillip Cox

MCITP - DBAdmin

• Phillip,

Yes, I must not have worded that last entry correctly. We are now able to connect and good to go!

Thanks you for following up.

Thanks,

Jen

• Hi Jennifer,

sorry, I missed the last post:-(, but excellent result!!

It's been a complete pleasure.

Take care,

Phillip Cox

MCITP - DBAdmin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply