Oracle to MS SQL

• Hi,

I'm converting Oracle Queries into MS SQL and there are fucntions which are specific only to Oracle.

I'm struggling on a query which in the WHERE-Clause I have this (tab is DATETIME2)

select tab.a
    tab2.b
    tab3.c
    from tab, tab2, tab3
    Where TO_CHAR(tab.x, 'MMYYYY') = TO_CHAR(trunc(Sysdate,'MM')-1,'MMYYYY'))

I'm not pretty sure what does this is about but I think its trying to truncate the Month, right?(Can you explain it to me further?)

I tried this

FORMAT(tab.x, 'yyyy-MM') = CONVERT(DATETIME, CONVERT(VARCHAR(7), GETDATE(), 120) + '-01')

but didn't work.

Any help?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  TheNewbie.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  TheNewbie. Reason: tab 1 instead of tab
  • If you can explain the requirement in English, I'm sure that someone here will help with the T-SQL.

It would also be useful to know the datatype of tab.x.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• TO_CHAR(trunc(Sysdate,'MM')-1,'MMYYYY')) - this is returning the first day of the current month (trunc(sysdate, 'MM) minus 1 day (-1) in format MMYYYY

TO_CHAR(tab.x, 'MMYYYY') is returning the value of tab.x on format MMYYYY

so basically the code is returning all rows where the year+month is equal to the previous month (and year if so happens)

assuming your tab.x data type is SQLserver is a date/datetime then you should change the code so that it uses proper date comparison (which will be sargeable) instead of the conversion of tab.x to a string to do the compare

tab.x >=  dateadd(mm, datediff(mm, 0, getdate()) - 1, 0) -- Beginning of previous month
    and tab.x < dateadd(mm, datediff(mm, 0, getdate()), 0) -- Beginning of this month

and please please ignore that FORMAT option - it is very very slow and should not be used except for ad-hoc small volumes purposes.

• You want to look at date functions like EOMONTH. Here are some samples that are pretty much what you're looking for.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

TO_CHAR(trunc(Sysdate,'MM')-1,'MMYYYY')) - this is returning the first day of the current month (trunc(sysdate, 'MM) minus 1 day (-1) in format MMYYYY

so basically the code is returning all rows where the year+month is equal to the previous month (and year if so happens)

--> Thank you for this explanation

TO_CHAR(tab.x, 'MMYYYY') is returning the value of tab.x on format MMYYYY  (-> I already knew this one 🙂 )

assuming your tab.x data type is SQLserver is a date/datetime then you should change the code so that it uses proper date comparison (which will be sargeable) instead of the conversion of tab.x to a string to do the compare

tab.x >=  dateadd(mm, datediff(mm, 0, getdate()) - 1, 0) -- Beginning of previous month
    and tab.x < dateadd(mm, datediff(mm, 0, getdate()), 0) -- Beginning of this month

and please please ignore that FORMAT option - it is very very slow and should not be used except for ad-hoc small volumes purposes.

-> noted (what should I use then please?)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  TheNewbie.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  TheNewbie.
  • frederico_fonseca wrote:

TO_CHAR(trunc(Sysdate,'MM')-1,'MMYYYY')) - this is returning the first day of the current month (trunc(sysdate, 'MM) minus 1 day (-1) in format MMYYYY

--> Thank you for this explanation

TO_CHAR(tab.x, 'MMYYYY') is returning the value of tab.x on format MMYYYY  (-> I already knew this one 🙂 )

-> noted

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  TheNewbie. Reason: can an admin delete this response?
  • Grant Fritchey wrote:

You want to look at date functions like EOMONTH. Here are some samples that are pretty much what you're looking for.

Thanks for the link

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply