Oracle to DB2 migration - Can we use SSIS 2005?

• Hi Team,

I have recently joined to new team as a T-SQL & SSIS developer and have been asked to help the team to migrate existing Oracle DB to DB2 (in addition to T-SQL work 🙂 ).

Now, my question here is that, can i leverage the SSIS knowledge to migrate Oracle objects to DB2? If not, what is the best way to do? PLease help me with any reference documents or links for me to refer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Suresh

Regards,
    Suresh Arumugam

• SSIS can communicate with multiple data sources and of different types.

Providing you have the correct drivers and permissions you should be able to have SSIS communicating between the Oracle and DB2.

However a migration strategy between two different database vendors products (and via a third) should be tempered with caution as nuances between the three systems may cause you more technical pain than reward.

:exclamation: "Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience." :exclamation:

• Thanks for the response.

I got it clarified that there are only 10 tables that i need to migrate from Oracle to DB2 and NOT even DATA to be migrated (only the Tables)

So, Is it a good idea to create table scriptgs from Oracle and run the same scripts in DB2? Of couse, we need to maintain the COntraints currently existing in Oracle.

Thanks,

Suresh

Regards,
    Suresh Arumugam

• Hi Suresh,

I agree; script the tables using Oracle and check the syntax for DB2 compatibility, then obviously test in a development environment.

Best regards

Robin

:exclamation: "Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience." :exclamation:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply