Oracle Provider for OLE DB

• I've had the Oracle client installed on the server (Oracle 11) however, when I go to create a linked server, I still don't see Oracle Provider for OLE DB in the dropdown list of providers. Is there a step I'm missing? Do I need to register it in some way?

This is the installation I've used.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/visual-studio/downloads/index.html

It is for 64 bit SQL Server 2008 R2 standard

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Oracle client does not includes the OLE DB driver - driver has to be installed at O/S level.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280106

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (2/23/2012)

Oracle client does not includes the OLE DB driver - driver has to be installed at O/S level.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280106

That's the MS driver. I'm hoping to use the provider that comes with the Oracle client.

It is listed under Linked Server -> Providers as OraOLEDB.Oracle

It works fine on the server it is installed on, the problem is getting it installed on another server. The person that did the first install is no longer here.

I believe the driver is now installed on the machine, I just don't know how to get it to show up under Providers.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Have a look at

• Jo Pattyn (2/23/2012)

Have a look at

That will likely come in handy when I need to use SSIS, thanks.

• The link is not working. Can someone help?

• We did the Oracle 64 bit ODAC install (ODAC121021_x64.ZIP contains setup.exe) when logged in as the ServerName\Administrator. Then OraOLEDB.Oracle appeared in SSMS -Linked Servers - Providers. This was in MS-SQL server 2014 64 bit running on Windows Server 2012 R2 64 bit. The same install done earlier by me logged in as my domain account (I'm an administrator on the machine) had OraOLEDB.Oracle not appearing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply