Oracle 7 and SQL 2005 64 bit

• Hi,

We currently have a datawarehouse ETL process setup on a SQL 2005 SP2 32 bit standalone Windows 2003 server. We have installed the 32 bit Oracle 8 client, and it works just fine. We now need to migrate to a 64 bit SQL active / passive cluster. On the 32 bit, we are using MSDORA to connect to Oracle and it works just fine. I've read that MSDORA doesn't work under 64 bit and I can't find an Oracle 64 bit client compatible with Oracle 7 (doesn't surprise me considering how old it is).

Has anyone tried this combination before, and if so, what drivers did you use to get this working?

thanks,

• You could try 9i RC2 client because most development with Oracle and Microsoft platform Oracle binaries are created to work with 9i client instead of 8i. So you need to run some tests with 9i because I know it comes with x64.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• thanks for that. I don't think the Oracle client for 9 will work with a 7 database however. The highest I could get to work was 8.

cheers,

• If you have Visual Studio running you may already have SQL Server Express running connect your x86 package to it and move Oracle data into it and then move it from there to your x64 SQL Server. This will probably take a few minutes to step up, while moving Oracle 7 directly to x64 could eat up more time.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• yeah, we may have to look at that sort of scenario.

Ideally, I'd rather do everything on the one box, as time is short, but if the only stable solution is

step 1 - oracle to SQL Server 32 bit

step 2 - SQL Server 32 bit to 64 bit

then that's what we'll have to do I guess. It needs to run nightly, so it's not a one-off job.

I've now tried installing the Oracle client on our virtual test cluster, and I can't see MSDAORA at all in the linked server box, so maybe it's not supported after all.

cheers,

• Yes you could there are Express binaries that installs in WOW64 only problem Express comes without the Agent so you may have to use x86 scheduling in your x86 directory of your SQL Server 2005 x64.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B448B0D0-EE79-48F6-B50A-7C4F028C2E3D&displaylang=en

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• wmt (4/2/2009)

thanks for that. I don't think the Oracle client for 9 will work with a 7 database however. The highest I could get to work was 8.

You are correct, 8.1.7 is the highest Oracle client certified to be compatible with Oracle 7

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply