Oracle 11g* vs *SQL Server 2008

• Hello everyone!

Is there any information about performance with these two DB technology!

Anyone has any information ...plz post everything what you know about them, let us know everything and share here for everyone!

Thnx!

😎

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• Heh... define "performance". Are you talking speed of code, speed of developing code, speed of testing code, computational ROI, ease of maintenance, ease of use, ease of interface, cost of ownership, speed vs hardware, what???

There are thousands of articles on all the differences and likenesses between the two engines. Just do a web search for (+PERFORMANCE +"SQL SERVER" +ORACLE) or flip it around for (+PERFORMANCE +ORACLE +"SQL SERVER" ). For every article touting the performance of one, you can find an article touting the performance of the other. And, you can find a lot of bad mouthing of both, just as well.

You'll also find that a lot of folks (I'm guilty, too) will write articles or posts on forums about such comparisons favoring one or the other simply because of what they cut their teeth on. It's like comparing the English language to the Russian language... most will gravitate towards whatever their first language is. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule.

There are a couple of things that all databases have in common that you won't find in any tests... crap code and poor database design kills both Oracle and SQL Server. 😉 Everyone tests with optimal or reasonable code... seems like no one tests with crap code to see how bad or how easily a system can be made to bog. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff you collected to much things here... I think if anyone knows the one of them that you mentioned above or have any information at least in one thing for example ( miniaml hardware resources between them is the best SQL 2k8 or Ora11g)!

:hehe:

• Do the Google search I spoke of... that will be one of the things that show up.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• That's an immensely wide question. It's like asking which is better, a peppermint milkshake or an espresso.

Are you asking theoretically? Are you trying to decide for a project? What's the context of the question?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I know for the wide question...but just to know couz some people and also some report and articles in the Internet many of them they said that the SQL Server is cheaper then Oracle and it has same things maybe more than Oracle 11g so on the other hand the Experts said that the Oracle performance is too much better than SQL Server ( ok now SQL 2k8 ), so I just asked for the things in general for which technology you will decide to for with + reasons!?

Little bit discussing about these two biggest DB technology even some BIG company don't use them at all!? - for Example I have info that the databases in NASA is everything MySQL ( no SQL no Oracle 😛 )!

• As Gail and Jeff mentioned it all depends on your criteria list and contents of the project.

Until recently commonly used for performance measurements TCP test will give you a certain measures. Take a look here: http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_price_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster&version=5&currencyID=1

Even so the top TCP measurements belongs to SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition (and not Oracle), you can't use these measurements for an absolute comparison.

On the same spreadsheet, you will see, for example that price/per TCP transaction is cheaper for Oracle.

That wouldn't be true as well (:-)), if you will consider, replication or reporting, for example.

The performance of your databases rather depends from the experience and knowledge of the database developers and database administrator than from the database's provider.

• Dugi (10/6/2008)

I know for the wide question...but just to know couz some people and also some report and articles in the Internet many of them they said that the SQL Server is cheaper then Oracle and it has same things maybe more than Oracle 11g so on the other hand the Experts said that the Oracle performance is too much better than SQL Server ( ok now SQL 2k8 ), so I just asked for the things in general for which technology you will decide to for with + reasons!?

If I was to advise someone on which to pick for a project, I would first see if they have either of them already. If someone's using Oracle already and has support staff familiar with Oracle's admin, it's a massive expense to put SQL Server in. Not because of the licensing (which is cheaper for SQL than Oracle) but because the most expensive part of a database system is the staff who support it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I agree with Gail - go for what you know. The performance reports you read from either Oracle or Microsoft on their database products are based on very highly configured machines that are designed to run the tests at top speed. In the real world you will probably never need the level of performance quoted and while some of the performance aspects of your project will be covered by the hardware available, the most influential part of the system is in the design of the schema and the queries used to access the data. The usual deciding factor in most projects that have a choice between systems will be the cost of licences, development, maintenance and the availability of features in the database.

Having said all that I think that Oracle is still ahead in features but behind in ease of use. Also their licencing model is hitting them particularly around multi-core processors.

• Oh, and I think a peppermint milkshake would be better than an expresso!

• I've written a small article How to choose database about that topic..

Speaking about performance - there are tons of problems you can and HAVE TO solve differently in Oracle and SQL Server. Because they ARE different, they ARE produced by different vendors. And I'm quite sure most of these articles blaming the bad performance of one or another most probably try to use the same technique for both DBMSes but they SHOULDN'T. Because they are DIFFERENT. Even their architecture is different.

One can easily make a bottleneck, a single serialization point in his app and then none of them will perform well. So the primary problem is to understand each one of them well and only then start speaking about performance problems.

• And don't forget that SQL Server 2008 has the benefit of http://www.sqlservercentral.com for any tricky questions you might get 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply