ORA-12592: TNS:bad packet or REB_REPSER ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

• Hi guys, recently i need to start to look after some of the linked server query . i got a instance of SQL 2005 and linked over to oracle server. i can run the pl-sql on the server without a problem (the query returns 200000 rows) on sql plus* in my local machines (the result come back within 25 sec) , when i ran the same query through linked server, it has no responses for about 25 minutes and sometimes it came back the error messages .

here are the followings :

OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "REB_REPSER" "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "REB_REPSER" returned message "ORA-12592: TNS:bad packet".

but if i run a query which return less than 3000 rows, it brings the result back without a problem .

i have look into different options on linked server setting (and i tried to modify the timeout) without any luck.

anyone came across this error before ? and how do you solve it ? or where should i start ?

please let me know if you require any more information ?

i really appreciated with all your help

• Root cause of the issue is that the connection is timing out.

Check sqlnet_timeout settings.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • thanks for your help . will try to increase the timeout and see what happen for the query and see what happen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply