OPTION KEEPFIXED PLAN doesn''t work in IF statement?

• Can anyone confirm that OPTION (KEEP PLAN) and OPTION (KEEPFIXED PLAN) shouldn't work as part of an IF statement? We reference a temp table in an IF statement (IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM #temp)) and we would like to use the KEEPFIXED PLAN option to prevent recompilations. It seems to work fine elsewhere in the procedure but gives a syntax error when in the IF statement. Setting a variable with a count(*) works, but that's a lot of code to change.

Any ideas?

Sample code:

This works:

DECLARE @blahint int

CREATE TABLE #blah (blahfield int)

SELECT @blahint = count(*)

FROM #blah

OPTION (KEEPFIXED PLAN)

IF @blahint = 0

BEGIN

SELECT 'table empty'

END

DROP TABLE #blah

This works:

IF (

(SELECT count(*) FROM #blah) = 0

)

BEGIN

SELECT 'table empty'

END

DROP TABLE #blah

This doesn't work:

IF (

(SELECT count(*) FROM #blah OPTION (KEEPFIXED PLAN)) = 0

)

BEGIN

SELECT 'table empty'

END

DROP TABLE #blah

• I wasn't aware the keep plan option resolved recompiles with temp tables. If the dataset is small I suggest you use a table variable.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• The temp table is actually created outside the procedure, so it can't be a temp table variable. It would have to be a real table with some additional programming.

That said, when you reference a temp table created outside the proc, SQL Server recompiles the proc-- or at least that statement-- at runtime no matter what (since it can't make heads or tails of it at compile time). So this won't really help my situation much, but it ought to work in the IF statement darnit.

That said, yes, KEEP PLAN will remove the "alter 7 rows of a temp table and I recompile" logic and KEEPFIX PLAN will say "don't recompile this query for optimality reasons (only correctness reasons".

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply