Opinion:Flat file source Retain null values ...

• OK I had a quick project & it sparked a question I wanted to know why it happened & why it should not happen.

So I had to turn the option

'Retain null values from the source as null values in the data flow'

for this project.

Now the question why does this yield truncation errors,if I choose this option I expect null values to exists,so why would I still be getting truncation errors on that field for null values.

• Can you please provide more information like what is source,destination,transformation and error message etc.

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    🙂

• Well its not a 'real' problem.

It's more me wondering why I should get truncation errors on colums while I'm expecting null values in that column & explicity said that the source should maintain null or blank values if it finds them in a source file.

• Resender (5/13/2014)

Well its not a 'real' problem.

It's more me wondering why I should get truncation errors on colums while I'm expecting null values in that column & explicity said that the source should maintain null or blank values if it finds them in a source file.

hmm...it happens when you have source as flat file and the column has blank values intead of word null or so.In this case better to TRIM or limit the value of column to certain length as per requirement or as per the length of destination column using SUBSTRING.

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    🙂

• are you sure it's the null values triggering the error?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply