Operations Manager Custom Collection

• You're right. I don't know where I got that idea. Sorry about the bad information. I hate doing that. I shouldn't post based on vague notions.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Now that I've taken the time to actually think about the answer to the question, yes, you'd need to recreate the script inside a monitor. Seems a bit odd to have to do it that way, but I don't see an alternative.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (9/3/2008)

Now that I've taken the time to actually think about the answer to the question, yes, you'd need to recreate the script inside a monitor. Seems a bit odd to have to do it that way, but I don't see an alternative.

Create a rule and base it on the custom script. I'm just about to finish an article for SSC on this topic. Should be submitting it in the next few days. 🙂

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Excellent! Looking forward to it.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Looking forward to that, Marios.

btw, what's SSC?

• Look up.

Sql Server Central...

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Thanks guys, I will try not to disappoint... 🙂

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• I have successfully created the rule according to the information in the article.

I have also created a performance view in the Monitoring tab of the Ops Mgr console and configured it according to the screenshot attached.

In short, I specified that I want to show data collected by specific rules and that I want to "View performance collected by myRuleName ...".

Is this all I need to do?

• I think I got it. 🙂

After adding the performance view, I also added a dashboard view.

While creating the dashboard view I clicked on the "Click to add a view" link provided and specified the performance view I created earlier.

All this is happening in the Monitoring area of the console by the way.

• This is all a bit scary to me. I was handed Grant's article by one of our DBA's and asked to get this working. :w00t:

Well, I have several beginner's questions if I may.

1. I copied and pasted the script at into the script window, but I cannot get the parameters listed ($Target/Host etc) to go into the parameters window. Returns and error whan I try to save it. Am I supposed to just copy and paste the two parameters in to the Parameters window?

2. Once I can get past the Parameters window, how do I view the data collected? This is really baffling to me.

3. On the Performance Mapping window, how do you get the Object/Counter/Instance/Value lines to populate?

Thankyou,

John Bradshaw

• j.bradshaw (8/24/2009)

This is all a bit scary to me. I was handed Grant's article by one of our DBA's and asked to get this working. :w00t:

Well, I have several beginner's questions if I may.

Tell them you're busy and that they should do their own damned work. 😀

1. I copied and pasted the script at into the script window, but I cannot get the parameters listed ($Target/Host etc) to go into the parameters window. Returns and error whan I try to save it. Am I supposed to just copy and paste the two parameters in to the Parameters window?

There is an alias included in the parameter, SqlServer3, that's probably not the same on your system. You'll need to replace this with the appropriate setting from your system. But yes, I typed the parameters in initially and copied and pasted them for subsequent rules I created.

2. Once I can get past the Parameters window, how do I view the data collected? This is really baffling to me.

I created a view that referenced the rules I had created. It took a little while, approximately 45 minutes, before the data started coming back.

3. On the Performance Mapping window, how do you get the Object/Counter/Instance/Value lines to populate?

Thankyou,

John Bradshaw

I'm not sure what you mean by Performance Mapping window, sorry.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Thx very much Grant.

"There is an alias included in the parameter, SqlServer3, that's probably not the same on your system. You'll need to replace this with the appropriate setting from your system. But yes, I typed the parameters in initially and copied and pasted them for subsequent rules I created."

Umm, I am just not getting this. Sorry. But I can't see SqlServer3 in the two lines listed as parameters

which are:

$Target/Host/Property[Type="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/ConnectionString$

$Target/Property[Type="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.Database"]/DatabaseName$

Aren't they the two lines I'm supposed to paste into parameters?

Cheers,

John Bradshaw

• j.bradshaw (8/25/2009)

Thx very much Grant.

"There is an alias included in the parameter, SqlServer3, that's probably not the same on your system. You'll need to replace this with the appropriate setting from your system. But yes, I typed the parameters in initially and copied and pasted them for subsequent rules I created."

Umm, I am just not getting this. Sorry. But I can't see SqlServer3 in the two lines listed as parameters

which are:

$Target/Host/Property[Type="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/ConnectionString$

Aren't they the two lines I'm supposed to paste into parameters?

Cheers,

John Bradshaw

Oops. I looked at my servers and not the article. The alias above is the string "SQLServer" That's probably not what's been designated as the alias on your server. You have to look at the XML definitions file to see what it is on your machine.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• [/quote]

Oops. I looked at my servers and not the article. The alias above is the string "SQLServer" That's probably not what's been designated as the alias on your server. You have to look at the XML definitions file to see what it is on your machine.[/quote]

Ah, thx

JB

• Hi again Grant,

Just had one of the DBA's pop by my desk and ask how it was going.....Well I'm still struggling.

Umm, I get it up to the point where I copy and paste in your VB script.:-)

Then I click the Parameters Button. Am I then supposed to type in the name of a single SQL server where SQLServer! occurs in the following lines?

That is what the DBA thought but that would only work for one server at a time. I'm thinking I'm missing something major here as I thought you could see the %free space for each DB on each SQL server that SCOM was monitoring.

Thankyou,

John Bradshaw

PS Pls let me know if u wish to take this off-line. Ta.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply