Operating system error 64(The specified network na

• Been doing backups across network using UNC and am suddenly getting "Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.)" error after 3 to 30 minutes after the backup has started

• Make sure you are able to see the share drive.

• We can see the share and sql server agent is domain user with full permissions on the share. We're going to try new network card

• I think you are in right direction. Monitoring the network between two servers during the backup to see whether it happens again.

• We had similar issues when we would backup large database (usually over 750MB) over our network. What we found was that it was a combination of the Network Performance and the performance of the hard drives on the UNC machine (mostly the latter).

We replaced it with a better quality NIC and upgraded the drives to higher RPMs, made sure not to use compression on the hard drive and we disabled the caching on the controllers and the problem disappeared.

Haven't had a problem since. (knock on wood and keeping my fingers crossed).

SJ

• ... disabling caching on hard drive controller,,, do you take any hits on performance over all as a results of this ??

Loss of 'persisent' secure connection to remote share can be lost do to caching ?

i know thsi can be an "issue" bit it is hard to find any information concerning this disabling cache

• Have had the same problem since 12 August except files over 1.5GB cause the problem 9 to 12 minutes into backup. Changed hardware 8 August and suspect this is the cause. Will try new controller ASAP and advise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply