operating system error 3

• When I am restoring the data base from a network path, I am getting the error as

restoring of backup failed with the operating system error3 (system can not find the specified path).

Operating system :-2003 - Server Standard Edition Service Pack 2

SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4053.00 - Express Edition with Advanced Services - SP3

Is any one assist for this error.

• Check the full path.

Log into the server using SQL Server service account and check if you can "see" the dump file in the location you are telling SQL Server to look for it.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • As mentioned, check the path. SQL Server, the service account, must be able to see the path. It doesn't matter what your account can see, it's the server that performs the restore.

• copy the file locally and restore from there!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• another common reason for "file not found" (OS error 3) is also access denied. Even if the pathitself is valid - if the service account taking this on does not have access you may get this message.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• A tutorial that explains data warehousing concepts. Concepts include data warehouse, data mart, benefits of data warehousing, OLAP, OLTP, dimensions, fact tables, measures, aggregations, cubes, PivotTable® Service, offline OLAP cubes, virtual cubes, MOLAP cubes, ROLAP cubes, HOLAP cubes. Attached is this article in Micrsoft® Wordâ„¢ format. Submitted by Pareto Analyst.I really salute you webmaster for having this wonderful theme and for sharing your ideas. Hop that you will continue writing more articles than this. Have a great day.

• On the off chance that you have this issue and you are utilizing a remote SQL-server, check on the off chance that you have chosen that alternative when designing your database.  In the wake of transforming it from nearby to remote everything worked fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply