OpenQuery

• Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to create a table with information I grabbed from on server/database to a different server/database.

I wrote a Query on Server A and put the results into a temp table, I know want to take that temp table and replicate it as a regular table on Server B.

I've tried using OpenQuery and this is what I got

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY([Server-B],'SELECT * FROM #Temp_Table WHERE FILE_NAME = ''DBName..NewTable''')

I get this error when running it

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "ServerB" returned message "Deferred prepare could not be completed.".

Msg 8180, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Statement(s) could not be prepared.

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid object name '#Temp_table'.

Am I going about this the right way? If so what do I need to do in order to fix this error? I've tried running a basic select using openquery and it worked just fine.

Thanks in advance,

• Try with:

SELECT *

INTO [Server-B].[DB_Name].dbo.NewTable

FROM #temp_table

WHERE FILE_NAME = 'DBName..NewTable'

The reason your OPENQUERY fails is that #temp_table is a temporary table, visible only on Server-A in the session that created it. No way it will be available on Server-B, different session.

Be careful that my SELECT/INTO query will hold schema locks while running. You could change it to a SELECT TOP 0 * INTO first, just to create the table, and a regular INSERT INTO to pull the data.

Regards

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply