Opening Up Data

• I work for a regular company. They are just on a crusade to move things to the cloud and go with everything possible with open source (community editions only), and NoSQL.

• TrailRunner (5/13/2015)

I work for a regular company. They are just on a crusade to move things to the cloud and go with everything possible with open source (community editions only), and NoSQL.

...as long as it is the right tool for the right job. 🙂

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• TrailRunner (5/13/2015)

I work for a regular company. They are just on a crusade to move things to the cloud and go with everything possible with open source (community editions only), and NoSQL.

What business problem are they attempting to solve by moving to open source software and NoSQL databases; budget cutting, scalability?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (5/19/2015)

TrailRunner (5/13/2015)

What business problem are they attempting to solve by moving to open source software and NoSQL databases; budget cutting, scalability?

Speed? Reduce costs? Flexibility? I mean, there are always a dozen different things that apply or don't apply.

Just speaking from my end in relation to TrailRunner. I think the biggest on in my world is the bottlenecks you run into with large sets of data for short term projects. It's not easy getting approved for a large amount of data to do large reads and computing for a short term project in a rock solid RDBMS that costs an arm and a leg on all ends.

There are plenty of flexible solutions out there where I don't need an ETL developer, data modeling and so forth. I can do it all myself without having to spin up a new project and waiting 2 weeks to see some results due to the already busy schedule from the tech teams.

Due to that, you see a lot more solutions (tools) becoming available to keep the teams moving forward rather than waiting on someone else to fulfill your requests like you might have to when waiting on a new data source to be defined in a traditional RDBMS.

At least, that's what I see in my world in the data science type of things.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply