Opening an SSIS package created in 2016 with a later version of Visual Studio

• I have SSIS packages created in SS2016(i.e. 130). If I use a visual studio version newer than the SSIS package, will it convert the package to a later version? I would think if that's the case then i will have a problem running this upgraded SSIS Package because I'm still running SS2016. I would think I would want to update to SS2019  and then upgrade my SSIS Packages to SS2019.

Thanks in advance

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• As far as I am aware, you can make the SSIS package in newer versions of VS, you just can't deploy IF the version is too new.

For example, I have made SSIS packages in VS2012 to be used on a SSIS 2008 R2 without issue as long as I deploy the DTSX using SSMS. There are exceptions to this (if you go TOO much newer with VS, it MAY not support the older SSIS), but 2016 to 2019 shouldn't be an issue.

The other thing is VS versions do not need to match SQL versions. They are 2 different tools.

Something to note though - I have had some issues if I deploy using an SSMS that is newer than my SQL instance version. I never deploy from VS as I don't fully trust it to deploy correctly. My fear is always that I'll deploy to live prior to code review and testing. Our release process is a manual process (I am sure we could automate it, but we don't have that many SSIS packages to deploy), so we make the changes, deploy to test, test and confirm the problem is corrected, push code to git, get code review, deploy to live. Depending on how much work is required and priority to get the code changes released to live, pushing to git and code review may happen prior or during test.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• You set which version of SQL Server you are deploying the package to in the project properties.

Open SSIS solution in visual studio and right click the project name and select properties, expand configuration properties, general and deployment target and set Target Server Version to SQL Server 2016

We use VS 2019 to create packages for 2016 servers with no problems.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply