Open EDI file in SQL Server

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

We offer to our clients a wide array of EDI cloud plans which they can choose as per their requirements and the budget.

To manage business transactions, you would not be required any sort of software. Our cloud EDI solutions are highly flexible and support almost all major EDI standards. Further, our EDI cloud solutions are platform independent and work quite smoothly in all types of environment.

For more info : Fishbowl and EDI Order Integration   

• I do EDI for work. You should look for a solution that can parse the docs for you. We use datamasons. Trying to build a solution to parse all of the different documents EDI supports from scratch would be a monumental task.

• Also. If your parsing EDI docs for an ERP you should look for an EDI system that already has templates built to import the data in the format your ERP uses. That's why we use datamasons. The have mappings that can import EDI docs in Macola format.

• The short answer to this is no.  You cannot directly import the EDI file into SQL.  EDI is hierarchical, more similar to XML than it is to SQL; EDI requires remembering values from previous lines to correctly process the current line.  There are, I'm sure, several software packages that you can use to convert the EDI format into a flat file format that can be imported into SQL, I remember using one called ProEDI back 20 years ago, but I have no current recommendations.

An example of EDI weirdness.  The first line of the EDI file is fixed width and the character used in the first separator space becomes the separator.  So, while most implementations use * as the separator, you can't assume that this is true for every file.

All the other lines are delimited by separators (note, there are 3 different separators depending on the data nesting level).  The beginning of each line is a code that determines what type of data is on the line, and if it is a loop header will determine what future rows mean, until the loop footer is encountered.

As someone above mentioned, any reasonably skilled programmer can write a script to process files from a single source and get it into a database, but if you want a supportable, robust, solution, you should get a professionally developed parser or a full solution that handles trading partner and file management.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply