open a SSIS package in design view fro SSIS catalog

• A question for SSIS package in SSIS catalog.

Is there a way on server to open a package in data tool?

I know it is not good practice to open it directly on server, but sometimes I need to do a quick troubleshooting of the SSIS package, I used to be able to open the package directly from Data tool or Visual studio BI tool to look at the package, for we deployed the packages to the file system. Now we are using the SSIS catalog to deploy packages, it is not easy or not a way to open the package in design view any more, at least I have not found a way to do that on server like dev, test , production environment.

I have to open it in source control to look at it , but I would also like to know if there is a way to open the package on server from SSIS catalog.

Thanks

• you can download it from the catalog:

start a new project File>>New>>Project

make sure you choose Templates>>Business Intelligence>>Integration Services>> Integration Services Import Project Wizard.

there you can choose the server,a dn then the catalog/package, and download it.

http://www.msqlserver.net/2014/05/editing-published-ssis-package-in-sql.html

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• No, you can't open a SSIS project or package directly and edit in place, or at least it's not as easily done as jobs or stored procedures. However, there are a handful of things you can do.

From SSMS, you can drill down under the SSISDB catalog, highlight a project, and then choose 'Versions..'. This will present a windows list all deployments of the project which you can use to verify when it was deployed, if that's all you want to know. Also, all past versions of a project deployment are retained, so you can highlight and easily revert to/from a past version.

You can right-click a project and choose 'Export...' to save to an .ispac project container file, which can then be imported into a Visual Studio or SSDT project. Also, since the container is in .zip format, you may open it using a tool like 7-Zip to view or extract specific .dtsx, .param, etc. files.

Within VS / SSDT, you can create a new Integration Services project, but choose the template called 'Integration Services Import Project Wizzard'. At this point it will present a series of dialogs prompting you to either select an .ispac file to import (see above) or you can specify the name of a SQL Server instance hosting the SSISDB catalog from which you wish to import. From here you dill down and select your project to export / import into the new project.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Thanks, I will give it a try

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply