open a database a standby database read only occasionally

• Would like to open a standby database in read only mode occasionally .This would be to verify that the restores have been actually moving the database forward as expected.

Though the jobs always succeed it will be nice (though not necessary)to know from querying some pertinent tables that the information in the database is current till x or y day.

Your input is appreciated as usual

Mike

• Mike,

Create a database snapshot to view your database. You should be able to find more info from BOL.

It goes like

CREATE DATABASE snapshotDB ON

( NAME = N'DB_datafile',

FILENAME = N'E:\DB_Snapshots\DB_snapshot_2502061800.snap' )

AS SNAPSHOT OF DB;

Simon Liew
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• Not sure I understood you correctly.My database is in recovery mode because T logs are periodically applied to it.

The question was looking for a way to move the DB from recovery mode to read only mode and back to recovery mode for further recovery

Mike

• What state is the standby database in ?

( Look in Management Studio, expand "Databases" ... see what shows in parenthesis next to the database name )

If it shows "(Standby / Read-Only)" ... you should be able to query the database during the interval between execution of the LSRestore jobs

• Thanks for your response

The intention was to move it from restoring ,read only then back to restoring so it is in restoring and not in read only mode.

I guess it could be put on a read only mode permanently instead of restoring

Mike

• If you are using log shipping you have the option to toggle  between standby and recovery mode. hope yoy can try that.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply