One a Week

• That's an easy place to organize something.

There are Memphis and Nashville SQL groups that hold events and they'd come support you (I think). Huntsville, Atlanta, etc would probably get a few people and speakers up

Get a few .NET people to talk their side of database work, find a room, I'm sure you could get a fun event. I'd love to come if you plan far in advance.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/29/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/29/2014)

The only problem I have with SQLSaturdays is that they are - obviously - on a Saturday πŸ˜€

The weekends are off limits as I reserve them fully for my family.

Here in Europe we don't have that many SQLSaturdays (one in Lissabon, one somewhere in Eastern Europe, sometimes one in the Netherlands and one in the Nordic countries), so I am not missing that much.

Luckily our own Belgian SQL Server event, the SQL Server Days, is always in the week so I have no trouble attending (and speaking) πŸ™‚

Some are on Fridays at times. Both Hawaii and Minnesota have had events on Fri. If you want one then, organize it.

Our local SQL Server user group (which is a PASS chapter if I am not mistaken) organizes the SQL Server Days yearly (1 day precon, 1 day sessions).

From time to time they organize some evening sessions, but lately they seem to have trouble finding speakers.

edit: I wish I could go to the Hawaii one πŸ˜€

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/29/2014)

From time to time they organize some evening sessions, but lately they seem to have trouble finding speakers.

Are you open to remote speakers?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/29/2014)

That's an easy place to organize something.

There are Memphis and Nashville SQL groups that hold events and they'd come support you (I think). Huntsville, Atlanta, etc would probably get a few people and speakers up

Get a few .NET people to talk their side of database work, find a room, I'm sure you could get a fun event. I'd love to come if you plan far in advance.

Haha, I actually started tossing the idea around in my head :-). "Bah, like I could actually manage to organize an event like that! I'd have to get the speakers together... Wait, that wouldn't actually be too difficult... Well, there's expenses! ... Wait, I could manage that if I could get some local support... Well, there's the planning time! ...Actually, I could block out some time on the weekends for a month or so to put ideas together..."

As crazy as it seemed two hours ago, I might just give this a shot :-D. I'll see if I can meet with the .NET team for a month or two, gauge their interest, and see if they'd be willing to partner with me. No idea how things will play out from there, but it feels like it would be fun, not to mention a good learning experience as far as organization goes!

- πŸ˜€

• GilaMonster (7/29/2014)

I'm not a member of the board, but I'll let them know you are open for such things.

• Andrew Kernodle (7/29/2014)

As crazy as it seemed two hours ago, I might just give this a shot :-D. I'll see if I can meet with the .NET team for a month or two, gauge their interest, and see if they'd be willing to partner with me. No idea how things will play out from there, but it feels like it would be fun, not to mention a good learning experience as far as organization goes!

Give it a few hours and see. Email Karla Landrum at PASS and get some feedback. Start small, make it simple. Some events go crazy, but you could get one room, 4 speakers, serve pizza, and make it fun for a group of people. Fundraising isn't that bad, and I bet you'd be surprised how much help you get from people.

Getting a space is the hardest part. You get that, the rest can be very simple and easy.

• Oh, definitely! The local college actually has quite a few conference rooms, ranging from holding 6 people to holding 400. One of my roommates was close with the administration there, so he should be able to fill me in on it more. It looks to be the most workable spot right now, but there's also a convention center downtown (and it's actually going to be used for the DevLink programming conference next month; quite a few high-ranking SQL Server experts will be there!) that might be usable, but I doubt that much room would be needed for a little offshoot thingy like this.

Haha, I'm actually kinda giddy to take a shot at this now :-P. Well, planning, setup, and budgeting come first, so I'll try to cast out some lines and see where I get with that.

Thank you for the pointers, and for the random shot of spontaneous motivation! This should keep my brain busy for a good while, whichever way it goes πŸ™‚

- πŸ˜€

GilaMonster (7/29/2014)

I'm not a member of the board, but I'll let them know you are open for such things.

I'd be interested as well.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/29/2014)

GilaMonster (7/29/2014)

Anyone else as well? I'd like to combine it in one single email πŸ™‚

• lshanahan (7/29/2014)

Attended my first one in DC back in December and it is well worth the time.

I was pretty shaky on backup/restore strategies and one of the sessions there was extremely helpful. Actually having someone go through various backup and restore procedures and demonstrate them in real time solidified the whole thing for me.

And I will never forget the session on execution plans - with Grant Fritchey sitting in the second row.

Don't ask - just go.

These are a couple of the reasons that, IMHO, make these events so successful.

When I've attended the events solely as an attendee, I've learned something new or reinforced something old each time.

And I've also had the privilege of having Steve sit in on my encryption presentation (in the front row!) and not throw a single piece of rotten fruit at me. His feedback has made all my presentations since then even better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.

SQLRNNR (7/29/2014)

GilaMonster (7/29/2014)

Ah, just write a cursor to loop through and send the email via dbmail.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/29/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/29/2014)

GilaMonster (7/29/2014)

Ah, just write a cursor to loop through and send the email via dbmail.:-D

A cursor? NEVER! I'll just use a WHILE loop πŸ˜‰

• Andrew Kernodle (7/29/2014)

Haha, I'm actually kinda giddy to take a shot at this now :-P. Well, planning, setup, and budgeting come first, so I'll try to cast out some lines and see where I get with that.

Check with your local Donato's, Pizza Hut, etc. Some of them will give you a good rate on assorted pizza's with various toppings if you plan and schedule a minimum order ahead of time. Also Subway with their humongous subs will too. And some stores also have fairly cheap fried chicken in the deli area.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• Jim P. (7/29/2014)

Andrew Kernodle (7/29/2014)

Check with your local Donato's, Pizza Hut, etc. Some of them will give you a good rate on assorted pizza's with various toppings if you plan and schedule a minimum order ahead of time. Also Subway with their humongous subs will too. And some stores also have fairly cheap fried chicken in the deli area.

In the UK I have found that some pubs with an entertainment room will allow its use for free on week nights or weekend days for free and either provide plates of sandwiches and/or bowls of chips (that's fries to friends over the pond) on the basis that the room will have not been used and they will make a little on teas, coffees and soft drinks. I've even heard that some pubs allow self catering option.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I've even heard that some pubs allow self catering option.

My sister (actually my mum) did the catering for my nephew's Christening do herself. The pub made a nominal charge for the room and got the bar takings.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply