Old Posts

• We seem now to be showing the same threads over several days which makes it a longer job to scan the daily update.  If it interests me, I flag it for alerts so seeing the same item repeated day after day makes it harder to spot the new stuff.  I appreciate that not everybody checks daily but they always can go back to old emails if they wish.

• We only show those posts that have had activity in the last day. So while it may seem you see the same ones, it's because they're receiving new posts in them.

If it seems I'm wrong, please let me know. You can also go here:http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/messages.aspx?forumid=4&active=yes. It shows those posts since your last login by default.

Steve

• Steve,

I don't know if this is the kind of example you're looking for, but it seems representative of the issue that's been occurring since the rules for including posts in the newsletter changed.

This was an item in the 6/12 newsletter, but it hadn't had anything posted to it (when I looked at it at 9:30 am edt) since 6/8 at 8:28 AM (post #12)

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=65&messageid=368268&p=2

Mattie

• Steve,

I have thought for a while that it would be great if we had the ability to personalise the content of the newsletter. For example, being able to include or exclude particular topics or platforms, question of the day, scripts, and some filters on members threads (new topics / all active topics / topics i am watching).

How about it please ?

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• Steve's on vacation, will be back next Mon - but didnt you say something that if it ain't....

• Aye,

but that applies to my systems

...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• I'll check on the proc generating the threads. Might have a bug.

For personalization, not sure what to do here. We send 230k+ a day out and the engine to build them doesn't lend itself to too much personalization right now. We're rewriting the site and we might add some things, but too personal also detracts from what we are, which is an all things SQL Server site.

We've always tried to broaden your horizons, with the idea that a good "forest view" is better than a personal "tree" one. If you're not interested and don't have time, delete it. Otherwise, it's like the IEEE magazine. I don't really use the technology often, but I often learn something and it might trigger an idea in another area.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply