Old Enterprise Licences

• It has been a while since I looked at the old licencing and just needs some assistance.

My question relates to Old SQL Server Enterprise licences 2008 I believe.  Back then the customer Paid for a number of Server / CAL licences for Enterprise as you could licence enterprise that way.  Software assurance has been paid for these and I need to ensure that these could cover say a SQL Server 2017 Enterprise installation as the licencing model supported is only Core today.

Also if the Server is only covered with Software assurance this would mean that the CALS would only cover users accessing the version of SQL that they are for.  I believe that is correct?

Just after confirmation.

• As with anything licencing related, you are best speaking to your reseller and/or Microsoft directly.  Do not take any public advise as truth.

Now as Enterprise edition since SQL 2012 can only be licensed via the "per Core" method, I would say your old Server/CAL licenses would be obsolete, or have been transferred to the appropriate number of "per Core" SKU's.

The only people who will be able to confirm is your reseller and/or Microsoft.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply