Old, but stable

• We still have one SQL 2000 server that we have converted almost all existing DTS packages to SSIS on SQL 2008. Once that is complete we'll be able to turn off this server.

• We have about 40% of all of our production databases still on SQL2000 and two are the biggest systems. One of them the rollout to our first 7 stores on a new version of the app and SQL2008R2 Cluster begins Monday. SQL2000 has been very stable over the years I must say. Obviously we are fast tracking what is left on SQL2000 to 2008 right now and have a handful of others in process and a bunch more in the planning stages since Extended support for 2000 ends 3/2013.

• Absolutely!!!! We have a number of applications which function quite adequately to their tasks that require 2000 and won’t integrate with anything newer. Unless those applications are replaced or upgraded 2000 will be around for a number of years yet. All of the instances have been moved to virtual environments because in many cases the physical boxes were beginning to fail however. 05 and 08 are more prevalent with new applications but the old “steady’s” will be around for years. One of the instances will eventually go as I move the DTS packages into SSIS but there are so many I have delayed my retirement, I’m an old old old fart, entered the desktop world using CP/M from the card punch world, to finish the moves and testing. Got to ease into that new existence called re-tired slowly testing as I go you know, just tired now without the re…….

• Still running 2000 on one server. Biggest holdup is getting business sign off that their data will still be the same after the upgrade.

• At the local user group, there is a significant number of folks that are still using 2000 and 2005. If it works well, the management says, why spend money and time to upgrade and test?

In local news my wife is still using Ford 1990 and I'm on Toyota 2009... 😛

• We have one SQL Server 2000 server left. We're going to decommision it this summer if things go all right. I hate working on it, different system tables, no COPY_ONlY backups, DTS. If it wasn't so stable, I would have changed jobs to get away from it.

• Observation: I find it interesting how many systems people have that are still on SQL2000... Looking into the future how difficult will it be to justify going from SQL2008 to 2012 or 2015? SQL2008 is 64 bit and scales very well. Unless you really want some of the new features how will we justify it especially with the new cost structure of how they charge for SQL2012 licenses?

I know some of our current SQL2008R2s will be around until Microsoft discontinues extended support in 2019. I takes a lot of money and tons of hours of migrating and testing apps just to run on a newer version of SQL Server. This project we have that will move from SQL2000 to 2008 has been a huge upgrade from the app side and db side and has been on SQL2000 since inception in 2002.

• Several of our clients are still running SQL 2000. I don't have a problem with the database engine at all--the Enterprise Manager/Query Analyzer combo is a pain in the butt, though; wish Microsoft would release a downloadable version of Management Studio which will work properly with 2000, would be great!

• It is still in production - surrounded by an IPS and very tight firewall rules with only on-site VPN access.

The cost of upgrading the software is trivial compared to the cost of getting the upgrade done (business rules are in people's heads, DTS packages, etc.)

• chrisn-585491 (3/9/2012)

In local news my wife is still using Ford 1990 and I'm on Toyota 2009... 😛

Nice to see you have your priorities in order 😉

• though; wish Microsoft would release a downloadable version of Management Studio which will work properly with 2000, would be great!

FWIW, I use SSMS 2008 R2 and it works well with both the 2000 and 2005 databases.

It doesn't read old diagrams and doesn't do DTS (which might be your major gripe) but we don't have many of those so I just go to another machine when I must access them.

HTH

• I'm not a DBA, but we still have 2 - 2000 boxes in production. One should be decommissioned this summer with an application upgrade and the other is still under review as the application that needs it is being pushed to a SAAS model. I just have more DTS items that need to be re-written and so far have migrated a few as SSRS jobs.

• It's interesting that people think SQL Server 2000 is ancient. I still see code from the '80's and early '90's written for the IBM S/38 and AS/400 machines. And, much of that code I wrote. Those systems are still working and the users don't want the expense of changing. There are too many interfaces.

I came to SQL Server a few years ago with SQL Server 2005. I never had the pleasure of working with earlier versions.

• OCTom (3/9/2012)

It's interesting that people think SQL Server 2000 is ancient. I still see code from the '80's and early '90's written for the IBM S/38 and AS/400 machines. And, much of that code I wrote. Those systems are still working and the users don't want the expense of changing. There are too many interfaces.

It's more that people think SQL Server 2000 is an unsupported database software that hasn't really had patches come out (including security patches) in quite some time, and is almost certainly running on an unsupported operating system that hasn't really had patches come out (including security patches) in quite some time _and_ probably either cannot be installed on modern hardware or is difficult/finicky to install on modern hardware... and is almost certainly running on hardware that hasn't been made for a long time, for which spare parts may or may not exist anymore, and which is likely unsupported as well.

My questions for those running SQL 2000 still are:

1) If you have security auditors, what do you tell them about your security environment (I did see one VPN-only access environment)

2) How do you plan on recovering from a total system failure?

2a) Have you put, or considered putting, your SQL 2000 instance on a virtual machine, to help isolate it from the (probably old) hardware?

2b) Is your SQL 2000 media still good? Do you have any kind of error correction* data for it to even detect, much less correct, bit rot or other damage to the files/media? How often do you check it?

*Such as DVDisaster[/url] or A version of Par2[/url]

• We have today all our prod servers on SQL 2k (clustered enterprise edition and standard edition)

Also, we have virtualized instances of SQL 2k on vmware vsphere 4 😀

Why not to upgrade? well, it works, it is not a bottleneck in our production environments.

Slowly we are using new apps with SQL 2k8, mostly for BI and DW.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply