Offline Vs. Detach

• I am trying to attach a 7.0 DB to a 2k server. Before I copy the files, I plan to take the db offline instead of detach the db. Is that the same as detach as far as the target server is concerned? Thank you for your help.

• I don't think they are the same. With a detach the db is removed from the server. With offline it's still part of the server architecture, just closed and unavailble for use.

• Sorry for not making it clear. The tasks do have different results on the source server. But I assume it would not have any difference on the target or destination server where the db will be attached. Am I right?

• In both cases, the DB will not be available to users request. As far as results go, it is unclear what you mean by result. From what i know, when you detach the DB from the server it ask you if you want to update the statistics on the server, when you check that option indicating "Yes", it removes the DB information from the system arch like it never existed, on the other hand if you do not check that option, I believe that the DB information will still be part of the system arch. When you make a DB offline, the DB info is still part of the system arch. eventhough users request can not be processed for that DB.  Hope this helps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply