Office FOMO

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Office FOMO

• another complication for me personally is that amongst my officemates there are some vaccine refuseniks, with some presumably never having covid and at the same time being in risky age groups. I have not really settled on how to approach this.

• We went back to our normal schedule last week which is 1 day at home 4 days in office last week.  And while I miss having a dress code of clothing optional for almost a year it's nice being back in an environment where we can work collaboratively.

another complication for me personally is that amongst my officemates there are some vaccine refuseniks, with some presumably never having covid and at the same time being in risky age groups. I have not really settled on how to approach this.

Well I live in a state that has had open vaccines for awhile now, so at this point I figure if you have chosen not to get vaccinated it's kind of your own fault.  The company policy is still masking up in public areas and I'm still masking up in stores etc... but in our small office area where most people have gotten both their shots it's becoming a lot more lax.

• x wrote:

another complication for me personally is that amongst my officemates there are some vaccine refuseniks, with some presumably never having covid and at the same time being in risky age groups. I have not really settled on how to approach this.

Not sure anyone knows. Good luck finding a path

• ZZartin wrote:

We went back to our normal schedule last week which is 1 day at home 4 days in office last week.  And while I miss having a dress code of clothing optional for almost a year it's nice being back in an environment where we can work collaboratively.

Be interested to hear how you feel in month. Maybe write up a short piece on your feelings if you want and publish here

• x wrote:

While I understand your concern - I have to ask how you dealt previously with people in your office who refused to get the flu vaccine.  I have to assume that those individuals refusing the covid vaccine also refused the Flu vaccine - or maybe they are concerned that there just isn't enough time and experience with the covid vaccine and are waiting for more data.

If you were not concerned whether someone got a flu vaccine, then why be concerned about covid vaccine?  In either case, the vaccine isn't a guarantee against contracting either - or even contracting a deadlier strain.  All either vaccine does is gives a person a better chance of a milder case if you contract either virus, but if you happen to catch a strain not covered by that vaccine then all bets are off.

And remember - the flu vaccine does not cover every possible flu strain.  They only create the flu vaccine to handle the most likely strains for that year.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• My company recognised that different people have different needs. There is not a one size fits all anymore.

Many of my colleagues are at a life stage where working from home means staring at the same four walls in a one bedroom flat or even sharing that one bedroom flat with a partner. That has been rough for them.

At my stage in life I live in a 3 bedroom house and my kids have left home (mostly) so one of those bedrooms acts as an office. At night I shut the door on work.

My company has a number of offices and I intend to put on my red jersey and beam down to one of the offices in early May. I've got friends I've only seen on Zoom calls within the past 14 months.

Some colleagues have already been in. Their feedback has been that it's a bit of a ghost ship at the moment because the company has a 1/3rd capacity rule in place.  It's not the same as it was.

The vaccine status is a bit strange. In the UK they started vaccinations from the eldest down and have got as far as 1st jab for those in their 40s with 10million having had their 2nd jab. Again, many of my colleagues won't yet have had their 1st jab because they are too young. Some have had COVID and their message is pretty much unanimous.  Get the damn jab!

Many colleagues took the decision that there has been so much change that they may as well go the whole hog and change jobs entirely.  We certainly live in interesting times

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

x wrote:

While I understand your concern - I have to ask how you dealt previously with people in your office who refused to get the flu vaccine.  I have to assume that those individuals refusing the covid vaccine also refused the Flu vaccine - or maybe they are concerned that there just isn't enough time and experience with the covid vaccine and are waiting for more data.

If you were not concerned whether someone got a flu vaccine, then why be concerned about covid vaccine?  In either case, the vaccine isn't a guarantee against contracting either - or even contracting a deadlier strain.  All either vaccine does is gives a person a better chance of a milder case if you contract either virus, but if you happen to catch a strain not covered by that vaccine then all bets are off.

And remember - the flu vaccine does not cover every possible flu strain.  They only create the flu vaccine to handle the most likely strains for that year.

I don't think the two diseases are that similar, at least for me personally. I also believe that for some folks who aren't at risk for severe disease for covid, they aren't as concerned for those who are. Seeing some folks behavior has sure been an eye opener for me!

edit: fixed post

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  x.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  x.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply