OEM SQL Server Plug-in Metrics Monitoring Issues

• New to Oracle (and OEM), not new to SQL Server, I am testing our new installation of the SQL Server Plug-in on our development server.

The plug-in is the latest version 4.1.3.0.0. The OEM is version 10.2.0.5.0. The Agent is Oracleagent10gAgent version 10.2.0.5.0. The SQL Server is a standalone SQL Server 2005 – RTM (NOT SP3 – don’t ask!)

Monitoring of the SQL Server in the OEM is working well except for two conditions. I have opened cases with Oracle, but thought I’d see if anyone else has encountered these problems.

1) Alert not generated in OEM when data file hits threshold or is full. The datafile is set to 4MB, with restricted growth to 4MB. I’ll insert rows into this database, get the "1105 can’t allocate space error", but nothing is reflected in the OEM. Interesting point – thresholds/full-conditions are working for the log file. In the OEM, I have the Database metric - Database File Space Available (%) – set to <20 (warning) and <10 (critical). Is this correct metric?

2) Alert not generated in OEM when an error message is generated in the Windows Event application log. The "1105" error above, and others as well, aren’t being displayed in the OEM. The database metric – "Event Severity – Application" is set to ".*warning.*" and ".*error.*" respectively. A similar metric in the host metrics for the "System" Windows event log is working properly using these values.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Do you think applying SP3 may make a difference? If Oracle Support resolves these issues, I’ll post the resolution.

Thanks,

Cindy

• Sooner or later Oracle support is going to ask to apply SP3 - save yourself some time and do it beforehand 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Agreed. I'm working through the configuration change process as we speak (well - okay "type"). The "process" will take far longer than the actual SP installation...

BTW - nothing from Oracle Support yet.

Thanks, Paul.

Cindy

• Update: SP3 has been installed and as expected, still no alerts. And still no word from my Oracle Support buddies.

For those using the SQL Server plug-in, are "data file thresholds" and "application error reporting" working for you, or is just me?

Cindy

• Responding to a post I started in May. I have the resolutions (well, sort of...). While I'm pretty sure I'm the only on this forum who cares, I'll post the results anyway.

Issue #1 - Alert not generated in OEM when data file hits threshold or is full. STATUS: The alert only works when the "autogrow" box is not checked. See Oracle case - SR #3-1743532471. Bug 9791469 is currently being addressed by the Oracle developers.

Issue #2 - Alert not generated in OEM when an error message is generated in the Windows Event Application log. STATUS: Resolved. Oracle case - SR #3-1747935871. The application log has to be specifically added. To do so, go to Host Home page, and click on the Metric and Policy Settings. Edit the 'Windows event log message' and add another monitored object - 'Application'.

Perhaps this may help someone in the future.

Cindy

• Thanks for the info, Cindy. I'm forced to use GRID to monitor my SQL Server instances and this type of information is useful, as I've never tested that metric.

Side note: I was having problems getting the metric "MSSQL DatabaseFile", opened a ticket with Oracle. They had me downgrade to version 4.0.3 of the MS SQL Server plugin (from version 4.1.3) until they're able to fix the current version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • CavyPrincess (7/7/2010)

Perhaps this may help someone in the future.

Certainly. Very nice, well referenced documentation.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply