Oddball Configuration Question

• I need some advice. I'm 2 levels of subcontractor down from the vendor for a client. The vendor has upgraded the client server to a 2008 64-bit server, but hasn't upgraded the SQL Server instance to 64-bit - they are running 2005 32-bit Standard Edition. When I asked why they didn't upgrade the client to a 64-bit version of SQL Server I was told that the vendor didn't want to support 64-bit SQL Server (maybe they don't have one in house - I don't know).

The server currently has 8 GB RAM, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind slapping in more since the client just spent a bunch of money on the upgrade and memory is cheap. The box is pretty much dedicated to SQL Server.

My first question: Is there any reason not to upgrade the SQL Server to a 64-bit version?

Second question: What would be the best config options for SQL Server under these circumstances?

I've never experienced a 32-bit SQL Server on a 64-bit Operating System.

Todd Fifield

• depending on the application, if it was doing anything with importing from access,excel or raw text files using the JET 4.0 driver , jumping to 64 bit becomes a big deal pain in the butt;

the old drivers for JET don't work in 64 bit, so that might be a motivation for staying at 32 bit; it might take them a while to test and make sure their app can do the same job using updated 64 bit drivers.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As for configuration - I would assume enabling AWE and lock pages in memory - just like AWE on a 32-bit machine. Correct?

Todd Fifield

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply