Odd, Intermittent Error in Dataflow

• Here's the process:

• Store rows to delete in a staging table
    • Delete from 2 databases (A & B) looping over the rows in the staging table.
    • Transfer rows successfully deleted from the 2 databases (A & B) to staging tables in 3 other DB's (C, D, & E) to do set-based deletes in those databases (only single tables involved)

The issue comes in the 3rd step. The 3rd step consists of 3 data flow tasks with the following tasks:

• OLE DB Source
    • RowCount to get the total rows to be transferred
    • ADO.NET destination- with error output redirected
    • Rowcount to get the count of error rows
    • Script Component to get the error description from the error code
    • ADO.NET destination to log the error and the data

I am processing the data 1000 rows at a time, so I expect to see 1000 rows be transferred to DB's C, D, & E. What happens is I will get an error for one row that says "An error has occurred while sending this row to destination data source." Really helpful error message. This error causes no more rows to be processed. So I might get 362 of 1000 rows transferred. If I get another error like a unique constraint error on 1 row, there rest of the rows get processed still, which is what I expect to happen on ANY error. I have run the process with a trace running and I only see this error in the trace:

The statement has been terminated.3621

I have looked in the SQL Error Log and the Windows Error Log and have not seen anything there. Any other ideas?

Oh, and I can immediately reprocess the rows without error.

• Jack Corbett (9/30/2011)

Here's the process:

What happens is I will get an error for one row that says "An error has occurred while sending this row to destination data source."

I have a few ideas....

:blink: Nevermind, no I don't.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Gee thanks. I'm glad I edited it and put that sentence back in. This one has me befuddled completely.

• I'm kinda at a loss too. It would be better if the error was consistent.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

"An error has occurred while sending this row to destination data source.".

Is it a network connectivity issue? It seems I've gotten that vague (non-helpful) error message when connected to a client via VPN and I have connectivity issues (usually hiccup in wireless internet connection). Though I don't know if/how this would be logged in the error logs.

Just a thought,

Rob

• Is the ADO .NET destination a SQL Server DB? Do you get different results if you change it to an OLE DB destination? You can still redirect errored rows with OLEDB, you just have to change it from being a Fast Load to a normal load.

Edit: Removed another question after re-reading

• rgtft (10/2/2011)

Jack Corbett (9/30/2011)

"An error has occurred while sending this row to destination data source.".

Is it a network connectivity issue? It seems I've gotten that vague (non-helpful) error message when connected to a client via VPN and I have connectivity issues (usually hiccup in wireless internet connection). Though I don't know if/how this would be logged in the error logs.

Just a thought,

Rob

I suppose it could be a network issue. I haven't really looked into that because everything is GB so that little load shouldn't cause an issue on the network and I haven't heard of anyone else reporting issues on the servers in question. Good thought that warrants some looking.

Thanks,

• HowardW (10/3/2011)

Is the ADO .NET destination a SQL Server DB? Do you get different results if you change it to an OLE DB destination? You can still redirect errored rows with OLEDB, you just have to change it from being a Fast Load to a normal load.

Yes, the ADO.NET destination is SQL Server.

I have not tried using an OLE DB destination. I may have to try it to eliminate ADO.NET as the issue. I'm not sure why that would be the issue since it is a series of 1 row inserts, but...

• Jack Corbett (10/3/2011)

HowardW (10/3/2011)

Is the ADO .NET destination a SQL Server DB? Do you get different results if you change it to an OLE DB destination? You can still redirect errored rows with OLEDB, you just have to change it from being a Fast Load to a normal load.

I have not tried using an OLE DB destination. I may have to try it to eliminate ADO.NET as the issue. I'm not sure why that would be the issue since it is a series of 1 row inserts, but...

Yeah, I agree - I was more suggesting it to work out what the real problem is - ADO .NET sometimes returns very vague error messages that may become more meaningful with OLE DB

• HowardW (10/3/2011)

Jack Corbett (10/3/2011)

HowardW (10/3/2011)

Yeah, I agree - I was more suggesting it to work out what the real problem is - ADO .NET sometimes returns very vague error messages that may become more meaningful with OLE DB

I agree about the error message. What is vexing to me is that I'm running a trace at the same time and not seeing a better error message either.

• Jack Corbett (10/3/2011)

I agree about the error message. What is vexing to me is that I'm running a trace at the same time and not seeing a better error message either.

Could be a client side error like a TCP/IP message or something... I've had connections terminated by overly militant firewalls before when they encountered character data that triggered a rule 🙂

I think if it fails the whole lot, it's going to be something at the connection level that triggers the onError handler rather than just a problem with a single row...

• HowardW (10/3/2011)

Jack Corbett (10/3/2011)

Could be a client side error like a TCP/IP message or something... I've had connections terminated by overly militant firewalls before when they encountered character data that triggered a rule 🙂

I think if it fails the whole lot, it's going to be something at the connection level that triggers the onError handler rather than just a problem with a single row...

It does appear to be a connection failure. Getting error number 2 which is a connection error. I'm getting this from a server side trace I'm running. Funny how it is intermittent though.

No events in any of the event logs on either the client or the server. May have to escalate to the operations team to look at.

What happens is I will get an error for one row that says "An error has occurred while sending this row to destination data source."

This does not tell me it's a network issue. The first thing I would be checking is the datatypes in both source and destination, plus the records around the error. I've seen SSIS connection managers do funky things with the records, though this usually occurs on the Flat File connectors that misread what the delimiters or fixed width markers are supposed to be. (Fields get crammed together or offset to the wrong column).

In your case, I wouldn't use ADO.NET destinations. They get messy. I'd do a MultiCast for the first destination and send it to your three different dbs and the RowCount transformation. Do the redirect to an OLE DB destination (since you're sending it to SQL Server anyway). This way you will get a much more helpful error message when, and if, it actually errors out. Plus you can put data viewers on the connections to the D,C, & E dbs to verify what is actually moving to those databases.

Have you even looked at the data viewers to see what's going on?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/3/2011)

Jack Corbett (9/30/2011)

This does not tell me it's a network issue. The first thing I would be checking is the datatypes in both source and destination, plus the records around the error. I've seen SSIS connection managers do funky things with the records, though this usually occurs on the Flat File connectors that misread what the delimiters or fixed width markers are supposed to be. (Fields get crammed together or offset to the wrong column).

In your case, I wouldn't use ADO.NET destinations. They get messy. I'd do a MultiCast for the first destination and send it to your three different dbs and the RowCount transformation. Do the redirect to an OLE DB destination (since you're sending it to SQL Server anyway). This way you will get a much more helpful error message when, and if, it actually errors out. Plus you can put data viewers on the connections to the D,C, & E dbs to verify what is actually moving to those databases.

Have you even looked at the data viewers to see what's going on?

Thanks Brandie.

All the data types match and all the rows will process if I re-run them so it isn't a data type issue. Also, with any data issues I've always gotten the redirect to the error output. These rows are never getting to the destination to be redirected to the error output. If it were a data issue I'd see the attempt to insert on my trace and then an error. Also the if it were a data issue the row should redirect and then the next row should be processed.

It's been a while since I posted this so I don't recall using a data viewer, but I would bet I did because that's always my first step.

I've never used the multi-cast, I'll have to look at it as it might be a better way to handle this.

• Jack Corbett (11/3/2011)

I've never used the multi-cast, I'll have to look at it as it might be a better way to handle this.

Multicast is a funderful thing. Try it. You might like it. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply