Odd Construct in a WHERE clause

• Glen Sidelnikov (9/4/2008)

Can you try changing the order in your WHERE clause to 'WHERE (@num1 = 0 or colOne = @num1)'?

Won't make a difference. Order of clauses in the WHERE are unimportant. SQL doesn't do short-circuit evaluation and the optimiser's free to evaluate the order of expressions however it likes, providing the meaning is the same

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I remember reading in one of the blogs that SQL Server does short-circuit evaluation, but it was not specified under what conditions.

• It can 'short-circuit' but not on the basis of where the expressions are in the where clause, rather which indexes are used and which expressions those indexes can 'evaluate'

If we say have a query with a where clause

WHERE B > 8 and A=16

and there's a nonclustered index on A that the optimiser chooses to use, then the B > 8 will only be evaluated on the rows that the index returns, ie the rows where A=16

You could call that a form of short-circuit. I prefer not to as the phrase brings to mind what C# and other languages do, which is a position-based short-circuit.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Gail,

would it be then proper to consider that on a table with search on an unindexed column the

'WHERE @param = something or field = @param" and

"WHERE field = @param or @param = something"

will be returning the same elapsed time and CPU time in server execution times?

I doubt. I can run some tests, but would assume that the second where clause should have CPU time and server execution higher than first.

• I have written a brief description of this exact problem here:

OR Condition Performance

I have lost count of the number of times I've seen this, and at first sight it looks like a good idea. But the fact is, it won't use an index, so an alternative like dynamic SQL has got to be considered.

I haven't tried the COALESCE solution. I can feel a test coming on 🙂

Gail,

would it be then proper to consider that on a table with search on an unindexed column the

'WHERE @param = something or field = @param" and

"WHERE field = @param or @param = something"

will be returning the same elapsed time and CPU time in server execution times?

Indeed they will

I doubt. I can run some tests, but would assume that the second where clause should have CPU time and server execution higher than first.

Run on SQL 2008 RTM on a Vista machine, 4 procs, 4 GB memory

Create table WhereclauseOrder (

somestring char(1)

)

insert into WhereclauseOrder (somestring)

SELECT TOP 1000000

CHAR(65+floor(rand((s1.number + s2.number)*4823)*8))

FROM master..spt_values s1 CROSS JOIN master..spt_values s2

WHERE s1.[name] IS NULL AND s2.NAME IS null

set statistics time on

go

DECLARE @param char(1)

SET @param = 'F'

select * from WhereclauseOrder where somestring = @param or @param = 'Z'

select * from WhereclauseOrder where @param = 'Z' or somestring = @param

First query: CPU time = 531 ms, elapsed time = 1149 ms.

Second query: CPU time = 531 ms, elapsed time = 1643 ms.

I ran it a few times , there's small variations in the CPU time each time. Sometimes the first is 50 or so ms faster, sometimes the second is. If you look at the exec plan, both show a tablescan with both of the conditions of the OR as predicates on the scan.

But that's not a proper test. So, this needs to be included as well (same table)

DECLARE @param char(1)

SET @param = 'Z'

select * from WhereclauseOrder where somestring = @param or @param = 'Z'

select * from WhereclauseOrder where @param = 'Z' or somestring = @param

Query 1: CPU time = 2109 ms, elapsed time = 8344 ms.

Query 2: CPU time = 2094 ms, elapsed time = 8214 ms.

Again, there were variations of 100ms or so across the different executions. Again, the execution plans of the two are identical and both show a tablescan with both of the conditions of the OR as predicates on the scan.

Gail Shaw

• Come across something similar in SQL2000 with LEFT JOINS before (bug). Not sure which service pack resolves it, however if one of the columns contains a null value, it slows the query right down.

eg: tbl1 t1 LEFT JOIN tbl2 t2 ON t1.col1 = t2.col1, if t2.col1 is null CPU usage hits the roof.

To get round this need:

tbl1 t1 LEFT JOIN tbl2 t2 ON t1.col1 = ISNULL(t2.col1,0)

May not be your issue - depending on your service pack, but worthwhile knowing.

Qu's:

Has anything changed on your server/DB Service pack since this changed was noticed?

Any chance of seeing the sql last time the sp ran successfully?

Does the table/s the query is run against have indexing/high degree of fragmentation?

On another note:

May be an idea to move the results set into a table variable rather than a temp table, if a temp table is needed at all.

Put parenthasis around the left join and statements - will help sql serv2000.

• And shouldn't the variation of "100 ms" in execution be random ?

In test I ran (using your code) for the table with 3 columns and 3 parameters I am receiving these numbers:

Method 1 (select * from WhereclauseOrder where (somestring = @param or @param = 'Z')

and (somestring1 = @param1 or @param1 = 'F')

and (somestring2 = @param2 or @param2 = 'A'))

CPU time = 1188 ms, elapsed time = 35203 ms.

CPU time = 1047 ms, elapsed time = 28187 ms.

CPU time = 1094 ms, elapsed time = 27890 ms.

CPU time = 1156 ms, elapsed time = 28968 ms.

CPU time = 1063 ms, elapsed time = 28140 ms.

Method 2 (select * from WhereclauseOrder where (@param = 'Z' or somestring = @param)

and (@param1 = 'F' or somestring1 = @param1)

and (@param2 = 'A' or somestring2 = @param2))

CPU time = 828 ms, elapsed time = 28484 ms.

CPU time = 734 ms, elapsed time = 27859 ms.

CPU time = 578 ms, elapsed time = 27265 ms.

CPU time = 703 ms, elapsed time = 28375 ms.

CPU time = 938 ms, elapsed time = 27656 ms.

• GilaMonster (9/4/2008)

If the data is not changing a lot, then you are probably not running into lock waits and hence nolock won't help much. Nolock is not a silver bullet to be added to every select statement without careful consideration.

So, if I'm running reports on a server that's refreshed once every 24 hrs, but multiple users are performing reads (no updates, inserts or deletes allowed in anything but tempdb), am I gaining anything at all in using NOLOCK? Our DBA recently suggested to the reporting analysts that everyone use NOLOCK every time. Sounds like he thinks it's a silver bullet.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Glen Sidelnikov (9/5/2008)

And shouldn't the variation of "100 ms" in execution be random ?

In the test I posted the variations were indeed completely random. I'll test later with a couple of params and again with a couple of columns.

Gail Shaw

• Ok, with 3 columns, populated much the same way as the first. I interleaved the queries to make it as equal as possible

set statistics time on

go

DECLARE @param char(1), @param1 char(1), @param2 char(1)

SET @param = 'A'

SET @param1 = 'B'

SET @param2 = 'Z'

Print 'Query 1'

select * from WhereclauseOrder

where (somestring = @param or @param = 'Z')

and (somestring1 = @param1 or @param1 = 'Z')

and (somestring2 = @param2 or @param2 = 'Z')

Print 'Query 2'

select * from WhereclauseOrder

where (@param = 'Z' or somestring = @param)

and (@param1 = 'Z' or somestring1 = @param1)

and (@param2 = 'Z' or somestring2 = @param2)

Go 5

Stats time output (with the unnecessary stuff removed)

Iteration 1

Query 1

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 1406 ms, elapsed time = 1458 ms.

Query 2

CPU time = 1406 ms, elapsed time = 1548 ms.

Iteration 2

Query 1

CPU time = 1375 ms, elapsed time = 1423 ms.

Query 2

CPU time = 1391 ms, elapsed time = 1513 ms.

Iteration 3

Query 1

CPU time = 1422 ms, elapsed time = 1448 ms.

Query 2

CPU time = 1390 ms, elapsed time = 1458 ms.

Iteration 4

Query 1

CPU time = 1391 ms, elapsed time = 1433 ms.

Query 2

CPU time = 1406 ms, elapsed time = 1473 ms.

Iteration 5

Query 1

CPU time = 1375 ms, elapsed time = 1406 ms.

Query 2

CPU time = 1438 ms, elapsed time = 1487 ms.

The thing is, the optimiser is free to pick the method that the query will be executed at the time it compiles the query, so you may sometimes get the constant expressions evaluated only, other times you may not. There is no guarantee of the order that the predicates will be executed. It can and will change depending on the data in the table, the predicates in the query and possibly other server conditions.

Gail Shaw

• jomills,

I'm fairly new to the database game, so excuse my question if it is obvious. Why are you joining to ord_deal as a sub query instead of joining directly to the table? Since the sub query is (SELECT * FROM ORD_DEAL), wouldn't it be better to omit the sub query and join to the table?

• Jay_Noob (9/5/2008)

jomills,

I'm fairly new to the database game, so excuse my question if it is obvious. Why are you joining to ord_deal as a sub query instead of joining directly to the table? Since the sub query is (SELECT * FROM ORD_DEAL), wouldn't it be better to omit the sub query and join to the table?

This is piece of code that has been around since 2005 and modified and updated by various DBAs. I suspect the original code had a limiting WHERE statement in it at some point in the past, and the person who updated it simply removed the condition as opposed to adding the table to the FROM clause directly. 😎 I've not tried your suggestion to be certain, but I would suspect there could be some improvement.

I remember reading in one of the blogs that SQL Server does short-circuit evaluation, but it was not specified under what conditions.

I dont agree here Gila coz SQL does short-circuit evalution. Try this code

select 'x' where 1=0 and 1/0 = 0

• I've just tried this on SQL Server 2005 Standard

select 'x' where 1=0 and 1/0=0

select 'x' where 1/0=0 and 1=0

select 'x' where 1=1 and 1/0=0

select 'x' where 1/0=0 and 1=1

The first two return empty result sets, the second two return "divide by zero" errors.

This proves that SQL Server does do short circuit evaluation, but the order is not important. The optimizer is cleverer than that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply