Odd Connect Issue With FQN

• I have a 2019 SQL server that I can connect to with the NetBIOS name, but get "Access Denied" when I try to connect to it using the FQN. I have tried from multiple clients, including the console of the problem server. I have verified the normal things, access rights, group membership, that the domain name what the server thinks it is, verified repeatedly that I am not misspelling the FQN....

I can certainly ping the server, and connect to it, as I have connected using RDP so I can get into the SQL Server from the console. Even on the console though, I can connect to "SQLServer1", but not "SQLServer1.DomainName.com".

Another oddity here is that even though I have the server configured to log failed logins, I have no error messages logged after repeated attempt to log in with the fully qualified name and getting Access Denied.

I have run out of ideas on this one.

Internet searches have been fruitless. Anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• That weakly suggests a Windows auth problem - the single label name may be a registered SPN but the fully qualified name is not. But you haven't said what client you are using or if you are even using Windows auth. SSMS would provide you with more useful errors than 'access denied.' if you expand the message text

• Sorry, it is always SSMS being used for the connection attempts. But I thought of what it was, and found that someone disabled TCPIP protocol for SQL Server there. It's fixed now. No idea why it was turned off. This is a new server that was set up by someone else. It just didn't click in my head since I have not seen TCPIP turned off on a SQL Server since the 90's.

Thanks,

Chris

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Stamey.

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• haha good find. That is a type of fun problem that could easily take hours to figure out

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply